Need a crash course in shooting video with 5D MKIV with 24-105

bob_estremera

Hope you can help.

I'm being assigned to shoot some videos that will be used at a fundraising event.

They're going to be torso shots, some inside, some outside. Probably not more than 3-4 minutes each. They will appear on a big screen.

Never shot video before. I want this to be the easiest process I can make it.

Can someone give me a crash course, camera settings, etc to make this as foolproof as possible?

I'm going over the manual now but won't be able to get my hands on the camera for about 4 weeks so I want to have my process down pat as soon as I get it in my hands.

From my experience with stills, I think I want to use face detection, shooting in live view, Aperture Priority, Auto Exposure and Auto White balance (for outdoors and inside when I use lighting). I guess I'll decide on a suitable ISO based on the lighting.

What resolution should I use? Is Full HD enough? I want to avoid overheating card issues but definitely want the quality to be high.

Thanks,

Bob

)

Hope you can help.

I'm being assigned to shoot some videos that will be used at a fundraising event.

They're going to be torso shots, some inside, some outside. Probably not more than 3-4 minutes each. They will appear on a big screen.

Never shot video before. I want this to be the easiest process I can make it.

Can someone give me a crash course, camera settings, etc to make this as foolproof as possible?

I'm going over the manual now but won't be able to get my hands on the camera for about 4 weeks so I want to have my process down pat as soon as I get it in my hands.

From my experience with stills, I think I want to use face detection, shooting in live view, Aperture Priority, Auto Exposure and Auto White balance (for outdoors and inside when I use lighting). I guess I'll decide on a suitable ISO based on the lighting.

What resolution should I use? Is Full HD enough? I want to avoid overheating card issues but definitely want the quality to be high.

Thanks,

Bob

It appears you have the basic/beginning settings for someone whose never done video before. I think you are able to change some settings while the camera is recording… test that in your own space before you go to production. That’s probably the best “crash” you can get beside during the actual event! Best hopes for your success!!

• 2 months later...

Practice. Practice. You want to know the camera well before you are doing the gig.

Tripod for stable shots. Monopod if moving a lot.

How are you recording audio, built in camera mic? Lavalier wireless mics to a receiver wired into a recording device like a Zoom HN4 that can still be wired into your 5D MK IV, also note make sure the stereo line plug into the camera is all the way in. That plug can trick you and you feel one click, but it may need a second click. Push harder. You want to be sure both channels are recording looking at the camera audio meters. You can still blend all channels in a good video editing software program from both camera and off camera audio recorder files.

Remember when recording interviews or other spots, audio quality is just as important as video.

Practice and test this for good audio quality. Be careful if mounting mics on a camera on a tripod as floor vibration can mess with audio. I have see traffic road noise vibrate floors inside a building and transfer into audio recording. Also on camera mics can pick up lens noise.

Consider lighting you will be working under. Is it adequate, make sure you are not getting 60 HZ flicker or banding from LED lights in video. Make sure your shutter speed is set so no banding or flicker.

Can you do some testing at the shoot site prior to gig? Never hurts to do some testing first. You don't want to make newbie mistakes so get familiar with gear. Not making mistakes is easier than trying to fix bad recordings. Practice Practice Practice. Have fun. You can do this.

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark