Need a better web design/hosting, plus print lab, combination

chris_newkumet2

<p>All:<br>

I know bits of this have been covered, but I'm looking for the latest info on this particilar issue. I've been working with a local lab that also has the capability to design and host websites. Essentially, they designed my rather simple site, which includes a seemless interface with their lab services. There are galleries, etc, plus a view-your-event type of setup, with clients going to see the images and then purchasing prints. Print orders are satisfied by the lab, which takes a cut... pretty standard stuff. Problem is that I've never really been pleased with the website design, and virtually everything about dealing with the lab side, including uploading, etc., seems clunky and slow. So I need a new approach. My own experience with BluDomain mirrors those of others on this site... the templates seem really cool, the prices very attractive, but the customer service is nonexistent. Is there someone else out there who does what BluDomain offers -- with partial flash and HTML to boost Google recognition -- but with some semblance of customer service? And what about a lab interface? Has anyone worked with Zenfolio? How about the professional service level of SmugMug? Photography is my second job, but I'm fairly busy and need this end of the business to be quick and easy.</p>

<p>I recently reviewed options relating to websites and decided to try zenfolio but several people who commented on the thread praised SmugMug. SmugMug is more money and, I think, a little more flexible in design. However, I didn't like some of the assumptions they made concerning screen real estate. <br>

Here's a pointer to that threads (there where a couple other ideas in there too). <br>

http://www.photo.net/business-photography-forum/00TcQo</p>

<p>I use Smugmug and love it. I pay $150.00/year for the Pro/Top account. Some people create a flash site, and have pointers to SMugmug for proofing/print orders. I'm close to moving to a new front end, and still using Smug for just proofing/prints. Everyone raves about the prints/service. Good luck.</p>

<p>I just want to say that Blu's customer service before you buy is not so hot - but I have been a customer of theirs for 18 months now and every issue I have had I have gotten a response within 24 hours and problems solved quickly - I think if you want a great looking site go with blu - I personally think smugmug site look really bad....</p>

<p>Run, don't walk, away from BluDomain. Their customer service, when existant, is completely rude. Plus, their sites are so recognizable at this point that its becoming tired.<br>

Check out <a href="http://www.photobiz.com">www.photobiz.com</a>. More affordable than Blu, better service, better sites, pretty much have them beat in every way.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>I went with Bigfolio for my website. They integrate very well with Nextproof, my proofing site and Nextproof integrates very well with Pro DPI, my print shop. I have yet to be disappointed although there ARE a few things I wish I could do with my website that aren't currently available via Bigfolio. Or perhas they are available if I was better at my CSS. :-)</p>