NEC SpectraViewII update causes color shift?

After downloading the latest version of NEC SpectraViewII a couple of days ago, I noticed a color mismatch between my prints and monitor. Nothing else (lighting, PS version, monitor, sensor, computer, operating system, printer, drivers, paper, ink, etc.) has changed. After a lot of calibrating and verifying I increased the calibration color temp from 5200K to 5500K, to restore a near-perfect monitor-to-print match.

So, SpectraView software seems to be inconsistent between versions.

Anyone else run into this problem or know what else may have caused this shift?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newsflash: Software has bugs! Not that it affected me. Since you asked.Revert to the older version and move on; You’ll make both our lives a lot easier! :p

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

If it is so burdensome to respond to my inquiries, why do you do it? Get a kick out of it?

Actually I did answer your question. Next time you ask a question, tell us the answer you wanna hear, it’ll save us all a lot of time.;)

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I absolutely know what the underlying cause is, but you will not like the answer. So why go there.

Problem solved, do you really require more attention at this point? :confused:

Here's an interesting factoid for lurkers. The SpectraView software provides a message if there's an update each time you launch it by default. I have the latest version as shown below. It was installed on my system April 5, 2018. Which indicates that someone posting here isn't calibrating his display very often :eek:, and not updating his software very often :eek: and just to be absolutely sure, I launched the software today (I recalibrate every 30 days), no mention of an update. And as I answered in my first post, after recalibrating, MY unit today is just as it should be! No issues.

http://digitaldog.net/files/Noupdate.jpg

"I absolutely know what the underlying cause is, but you will not like the answer. So why go there."

OK, put your money where your mouth is and tell us.

If you insist. Got a mirror handy? :p

It shows that nothing changed that would cause what you report and what no one else has reported thus far. ON BOTH sites you asked!

But then that was your question on BOTH SITES: (Anyone else run into this problem or know what else may have caused this shift?) but the only answer you appear to accept would be a 'yes' but I refuse to lie to people. So again, there's no difference on this end, the software runs just fine AND you've got two solutions to your so called 'problem'. Time to move on, you've got zero proof of concept to yet another rant towards NEC Spectraview's.

Maybe you work for their competitors.... :D

Don't you have better use of your time????

Edited by digitaldog

A new version may change or revoke the monitor profile of the previous version. When updating, some preferences may be changed. I use X-Rite calibration hardware and software, and updates have been perfectly consistent. I don't have any experience with NEC and Spectraview.
  • Like 1

Andrew, the Revision History doesn't point to a change that would explain the issue that I have experienced, but that doesn't mean that nothing actually changed that would cause what I reported. I don't know that and you don't know that. What I do know is that when I switched from version 1.1.32 to version 1.1.37.00 there was a clear color shift, so something did change and nothing on my end changed as far as I can tell. That's why I asked other people for help. I haven't asked NEC yet because I don't think the people on the chat line are knowledgeable enough (they referred my to telephone tech support previously with a calibration issue) and I can't talk to them on the phone right now because I have laryngitis and can't make myself understood on the phone.

BTW, NEC phone tech support suggested I install version 1.1.37.00 because version 1.1.32 no longer recognized my SpectraSensor Pro. That was not supposed to happen either but it did.

If the color shift issue is caused by the new version, than that's the proof of concept, a term you like to use so much; should I be impressed? Not!

If the color shift issue is not caused by the new version, than I have an unresolved problem and would welcome any constructive ideas and my time is well spent to follow up on any constructive ideas.

Andrew, the Revision History doesn't point to a change that would explain the issue that I have experienced, but that doesn't mean that nothing actually changed that would cause what I reported..

Because nothing did change as outlined by everyone who's replied to you. I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it.

If the color shift issue is caused by the new version...

There is ZERO proof that's the case and some proof it isn't. I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it.

Just like your rather flat earth ideas about monitors causing headaches or nozzle checks you cannot read, you have a belief system that has nothing (yet) to back it up.

GO BACK to the old version, be happy (if possible) with whatever calibration it provides and move on. There's zero reason you need to upgrade your older version as the reversion history clearly shows! Doing so again will make everyone's life easier assuming that's your goal in posting which I suspect it isn't. NEC-Russian collusion doesn't wash. :D

Edited by digitaldog

I haven't asked NEC yet because I don't think the people on the chat line are knowledgeable enough (they referred my to telephone tech support previously with a calibration issue) and I can't talk to them on the phone right now because I have laryngitis and can't make myself understood on the phone.

Translation: They will not tell me what I want to hear, like you Andrew.

Enough said!

So, I'm still in the dark as to why this is happening.

We are in violent agreement. grin.gif

If you actually RTFM, you'll see how to measure the display using both versions and come up with some actual measured data rather than make more assumptions. But really, it's a waste of your time. Like most of the posts here. Revert back to the old version and be happy as NOTHING in the new version, with or without the so called 'color cast' is necessary for you. But we've been over that fact already.

And this is helping how? I RTFM, know how to measure and calibrate and in spite of that there is a color shift. Nothing, absolutely nothing you have said on this issue has been of any help, but apparently you can't stop venting; maybe you should and stop chasing away others who might have some helpful hints.

Boy, I need to really connect the dots for you bud. You install older version and measure. You jot down the values. You install the newer version and do the same. Get it? I don't think so but I've tried.

If you think answering your questions is venting, maybe you should stop asking questions. Or to put it another way, from a fine film (Pulp Fiction):

Jules: If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions. :p