NEC 2690WUXi Video calibration settings Cinema Or Broadcast?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I've struggled through the documentation for my NEC Spectraview 2690 WUXi with Spectraview 2 software. I have no problems calibrating for photo targets using the software, but I cannot tell from the literature whether I should choose the 'Broadcast Video" target, or the "Digital Cinema" target for what I'm doing. I'm editing in Final Cut Studio 2, and I'm hoping to colour correct a HD edit. The final output will be for use in an art video installation - played back via Mac Mini & data projector. I'm guessing I should select "Broadcast Video" but not sure.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I will personnaly let it at your photo calibration 9like 2.2 6500 110l for example) for all usage. Since no monitor and projector are rarely calibrated, even if you are doing your best with a expensive monitor to drop is quality to a projector / or regular tv..i think its not worth it.</p>

<p>Patrick,<br>

You have a point - most of these devices are not at all calibrated. But if I am going to the trouble of colour correcting, shot by shot, a 40 minute video, it makes sense to do it with the correct colour preferences, especially when the software provides different options. It's just the language is not so clear from the manual.</p>

<p>Gerard, i didtn mean to say dont calibrate anything..What i said is i see little to none point of trying to emulate a device if this device wont be calibrated itself.</p>

<p>I do many workshop per week, and i need to show images everytime, with keynote or by slideshow..All my images are calibrated using my calibrated NEC2690 like you, and before i put them in video or slideshow i save them as sRGB to make sure that if a add them to a non color managed software that my color wont shift.</p>

<p>So i think you should work with those images in Photoshop let say, on your calibrated monitor for photo editing, then export them in a srgb color space, and make sure if you can, adjust the projector / tv to your liking during the event..So your images should look good when print, and the same images will look good on screen also. No need to edit them for print AND for a tv..thats why is said its not worth the effort.</p>

<p>But like anything, you do what you want with your time, and learn from your experience..i just think i could help you get some free time and put this save time elsewhere. ; )</p>

<p>Patrick,<br>

Thanks for the considered response. The problem is that I am colour correcting video clips, not still image files. I don't know of any sRGB profile that can be saved with a Quicktime video format, although I may be wrong. In the end I think I will use the Spectraview "Broadcast Standard" calibration target - it's got to be close enough.<br>

Thanks for your help.</p>

• 8 months later...

<p>It's probably a little late to respond, but here's the description from the Spectraview manual, in case you didn't see this section:</p>

<blockquote>

<ul>

<li>Digital Cinema: Images and video intended for cinematic projection.</li>

<li>Broadcast Video: Used for editing images and video intended to be displayed on televisions using the NTSC, PAL, or SECAM standards.</li>

</ul>

</blockquote>