Neat Photoshop/Lightroom trick for creating and using LUT's

From time to time, I've experimented with color LookUp Tables (LUT's) in Photoshop. Mainly with the ones already installed in Photoshop and additional 'free LUTs' that I've downloaded from various websites. Not with much success. I've found it time-consuming to browse through the long list of 'default' and added LUTS and apply them to see what effect they have. Most don't IHMO get close to achieving any 'look' that I have in mind. Of course the best LUT collections are not free and are generally priced between $80 and $100. Too expensive for me for the use I'd of them.

So I plan to drastically cull my current list of LUTS to just a few that might be useful. Via Twitter, I came across this article on DPMag.com. It describes how - once you've created a certain 'look' with adjustment layers in Photoshop - you can save the result as a LUT (look) that you can re-use. Even neater, it describes how you can sneakily import any LUT into Lightroom and apply it there too without opening up Photoshop.

Though other articles on DPMag.com look interesting too, I'm not promoting this site above any other in any way. I just happened (via Twitter) to read an article that was useful to me and that I wanted to share here.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Having only recently encountered LUT's, I was looking at various packages, and ran across this one which looks interesting:

LUT Generator - Export LUT from Lightroom presets, Camera Raw and more

It appears to be able to generate a 'default' image that you can import into the application of your choice, do your adjustment(s), export the modified image back, and create an instant LUT .cube file from the modified image.

• Like 1