neat image or noise in acr

Hi Jerry, Since Neatimage softens your images quite a bit, I definitely would only use it on the ones that need it. Zoom in 100 percent and take a look. On my Canon 20D I find I start using it quite a bit when I shoot at ISO 800 or above. Having said that, I'm always surprised at how noise is much more evident on screen than it is on a print - at least an 8X10 anyway. Good luck!

I'll second Beau's comment on the look you get on a print vs. on screen. Before you start using something like Neat Image, which is a good product- it is in my Photoshop set up, try having some of your higher ISO shots printed as is and see what you think. I personally don't think sensor noise is an issue at all with my 10D up to ISO 400, and only slightly so at ISO 800. You don't say what camera you're using. Is it a DSLR or a digicam with one of those pinky-sized sensors? I took some images of my daughter at a night time band competition where I was using ISO 1600 to get fast enough shutter speeds with my 70-200 f4L zoom. The subsequent prints vs. what I saw on my CRT made me start to think twice before using a program like Neat Image.

I also think Neat Image does not degrade the image <em>if you use the proper profile</em>. Let me note that Noise Ninja now exists as a plug-in, so that may be worth a try.

<p>

As for your original question, I can say that the noise reduction plug-in will be more effective if its input has not been tampered with (using capturing software, for example) <b>if</b> you are using a noise profile. However, this does not mean that their combination will also be less effective; the former may compensate for the latter. If I were to make an educated guess, I would say this practice is redundant and just use the Photoshop plug-in. What is your experience?