Nature Unlimited, September 20, 2019

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ShunCheung, Sep 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Black-bellied whistling ducks at the Waterfall Gardens in Costa Rica. To gain depth of field, I stopped down to f11 and ended up with ISO 12800. (I have versions at a higher aperture and lower ISO.)

_5009306.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Tanzania-Serengeti-lizard-(wait)-cr.jpg
    Serengeti
    Border between Tanzania and Kenya

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

JDM, while my opening image was set at ISO 12800 (for the sake of depth of field), this week's thread is not a competition of grainy images. :rolleyes:

4. Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks....Austin, Texas DSC_3169.jpg

5. Shun, I was just about to start the thread, but thank you for doing it this week (again). This week's image is from the Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry in Emery County, Utah. I was there yesterday doing field investigations. This is a mix of in-situ materials and recreations.
    NatUnlmtd-7695.jpg

PuntaColorada, Supriyo and bnelson like this.
  6. Egret with mole Egret with mole.jpg

7. That was on high-speed film back in 1974, ferchrissakes

Maybe it should be. Grain is great, grain is good. The obsession with "sharpness" is often just that, an obsession to the point of OCD.

PuntaColorada and DavidTriplett like this.
  8. My offering was shot at ISO 1600, f/8, 1/80s, handheld under available light. Even with VR and some PP it's far less sharp than I had hoped, but still a useful image. (Heavily cropped and down-sampled from a much larger documentary image.) I agree that grain is not necessarily the enemy, but sometimes it's not my friend, either.

PuntaColorada and bnelson like this.
  9. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

10. Bald eagle, Alaska

Untitled-987.jpg

11. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

The fall of the light caught my eye...
    DSC_2776 (1024x681).jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.