Nature Unlimited, October 18, 2019

ShunCheung

This is the additional weekly image thread for the Nature Forum. While images posted to this thread should still be nature in theme, it may contain a small amount of human-made objects and therefore less restricted than the Monday in Nature threads. Please see this discussion for more details: Alternative weekly thread in Nature forum

Each participant please post no more than just one image per weekly thread.

Heermann's Gull, Monterey Bay, California

DSC_0792.thumb.jpg.5f8bbc2e38121cd86d6f3150ec5fa130.jpg

• Like 5

_DSC1385_20191013Post.thumb.jpg.4373cad0095ac6ed47a2ef35346a1a86.jpg Last Sunday Mike's Camera held a "Camera Day" at the Sacramento Zoo. All the major vendors were represented; you could checkout and try various cameras and lenses.

Among the items I tried was the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens on my D750. While I was in line to return the lens, I was chatting with one of the Nikon representatives. He asked me how I liked the lens; I replied that I found it a bit too long for a venue like the zoo. Just then a hawk, a wild hawk not an exhibit, landed on a post just behind the representative. My camera, with Nikon 500mm still attached was in a Cotton Carrier at my chest. A quick twist and the camera with lens was in my hand. I had time to point it at the hawk and snap two quick images; then the hawk as gone. Here is one of the images. I guess the lens was not too long for this shot. By the way an absolutely beautiful lens; the reduced size required by photo.net does not show all the detail present in the image on my computer.

Nikon D750 1/500 sec f/6.3 ISO 3600 Range 7.94 meters

• Like 5