Nature Unlimited, 27 April, 2018

Discussion in 'Nature' started by JRCrowe, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is the additional weekly image thread for the Nature Forum. While images posted to this thread should still be nature in theme, it may contain a small amount of human-made objects and therefore less restricted than the Monday in Nature threads. Please see this discussion for more details: Alternative weekly thread in Nature forum

Each participant please post no more than just one image per weekly thread.
    Car versus bird unfortunately.
    _DSC1488.jpg

2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Sharing the balcony
    DSC_4646 (1024x682).jpg

3. A Great Horned Owl has nested for 9-consecutive years in same planter at Lady Bird Wildflower Center in Austin, Texas. The owlets are now 7-weeks old and the oldest one fledged last night. Nature Unlimited 4-27-2018.jpg

4. Urban Wildlife
    MO-StL-MBG-.jpg

DawsonPointers and JRCrowe like this.
  5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Lesser goldfinch

_5001177.jpg

Norka, andy_szeto, Supriyo and 4 others like this.
  6. ostrich 0002nat Detrás Cabeza Avestruz Oídos Pelos-NAFS70-300VR.jpg

Supriyo and DawsonPointers like this.
  7. Waiting for their share of the catch of the day. Puerto de Punta del Este, Uruguay

Different shapes, same appetite.jpg

8. One chilly morning I found this little fellow curled up on the sunny side of my house. The form is almost identical to the knot called, monkeys fist. DSC_3752.jpg
    Link > Monkey's fist - Wikipedia

DawsonPointers and andy_szeto like this.
  9. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Nice snake shot, but not Monkey's Fist - slight similarity to stage 2 of building the knot. Monkey's Fist is a spherical knot frequently used in olden days to make a weapon called a slung shot. Effective enough to still be specifically banned in various locations.

10. True Sandy, not quite a monkey's fist. I should have found my copy of Ashley's Book of Knots for him, or was it her? Would probably have had to grow a bit of length also. ;

As Indy Jones would say, "why does it always have to be snakes"!
    For another of my snake encounters check the Leica and rangefinder weekly thread. Missed a shot worthy of MIN, but survived.

Sandy Vongries likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.