Nature Photography in Manila

joe_fuhrman1

I have to make a short business trip to Manila, Philippines, early next year. Does anybody have any expierence photographing birds in the Manila & vicinity area. I will have at least a couple of extra days, and I always bring my long lenses, even on business trips! Shorebirds & waterfowl would be the easiest to try, but I would like to see some forest birds. Perhaps somebody knows of some good bird feeders?

I don't know anything about bird photography in the Phillipines, but I'd suggest that you decide on a location in advance and make an air booking to get there from Manila. The areas around Manila are densely populated and the traffic is pretty bad so day tripping in a car probably wouldn't be a good idea. Besides, Manila Bay and the surrounding area is grossly polluted. Either Palawan or one of the islands in the Visayas (other than Cebu) might be a good bet. Bohol is very nice, but again I don't know anything about the birding. Good luck. I'd check on the safety record of the smaller domestic airlines. One of them piled a plane into a mountain in Mindanao the day before I arrived last February.