the way places where there are actually stretches of "untouched"

land. And wildlife, too, is seemingly non-existant. I am spending

most of my time working some assorted GBHs and egrets at a local park

in my town (Okayama, between Hiroshima and Kobe), and I can't seem to

find anything else too great in this town. Does anyone have any

experience here? As I mentioned, I have a tight budget, so

Hokkaido's probably out of the question for now...but I'm willing to

go anywhere. Does anyone have any success stories about wildlife or

natural beauty spots in Japan? Thanks for your help guys. Mike.

<p>I don't know that I can offer a "success story", but I live in Japan too: I've spent quite a while photographing plants, and also some on the wires. One way to look at it is that since nothing is planned, the wires are actually an evolutionary system, a sort of alternative "wildlife", with saplings struggling for the light, thinly dispersed "early colonisers" and so on.

<p>My "<a href="http://imaginatorium.org/sano/flora.htm">Plant-Watcher's Page</a><br>

<a href="http://imaginatorium.org/sano/plan.htm#wires">The wirescape gallery</a><div>002G0V-8186484.jpg.68e2c07829de1a7bff0b752ba664cea8.jpg</div>

"(Okayama, between Hiroshima and Kobe)"

The islands in the Setonaikai (Inland Sea) are quite pretty. Mihara is the next stop towards Hiroshima on the Shinkansen, and there are various ferries leaving for various islands at regular intervals from the port there. The ferry facility at Mihara (I think: maybe it was Takehara) has a tacky childishly drawn in garish colors map of the islands between Honshu and Shikoku that will give you a good idea of what's possible. As long as you don't take a car, the ferries are quite cheap. (Although, you'd want at least a bike to get around once you got there...)

<p>Practically anywhere flat enough to build on in this country has been "touched", and there are few stretches of "untouched" land except maybe where the terrain is rather vertical. If you want to photograph landscape or wildlife, try heading for the hills (and God knows there are enough of them), or to a National Park or Quasi-National Park. If you can get a ferry over to Kyushu then Mt. Aso (Oita-ken) and its environs are worth a visit.</p>

<p>Also, go down to the local bookshop and browse the camera magazine section. There are at least two publications dedicated to nature photography (�l�G���^ I think is the title of one).</p>

Mike,

I lived in Japan for a couple of years, and I'm afraid my answer is the one you fear most: Hokkaido's the place to go. On a budget, the ferry system is relatively cheap, but it would be time-consuming for you to get up there from where you are. In case you don't know it, you can usually get reduced (up to 50%) airfares from JAS by purchasing (exactly!) 60 days early.

If Hokkaido's truly impossible for you, you might consider going the opposite extreme, the Ryukyu Islands, eg, Okinawa (Yambaru, the north end). Lot of interesting scenery, plants, birdlife.

Trouble is that having a car is really really helpful in either place.

Thanks guys for your advice. It looks like I'm going to have to just spend a bit more money and time travelling. I appreciate all your advice. Specifically, does anyone have any national parks that they are excited about? I haven't really found any nice ones. Thanks again guys, always appreciated. Mike.

Honestly, I would look at history and ask around.

The Japanese have a great tradition of nature in their art. Many paintings from years gone by have titles like "view of yada-yada forest" (not that many Japanese use the Yiddish phrase yada-yada....but you get the idea...). There are famous retreats. Famous springs. Things like that. Look to art to provide you with locations. IIRC there is one famous series of watercolors where the artist made 99 views of Mt. Fuji. Find out where some of those locations are and shoot there. Chances are at least a few of them haven't been overly developed.

Or destroyed by large atomic lizards.... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Lived in Japan for a few years, and I remember seeing some great opportunities for wildlife photography at the Fukuroda waterfall (fukuroda-no-taki) in Ibaraki prefecture. It's excellent in Fall and Winter, but should have plenty to offer year-round. As a bonus, you can make a side trip to Utsunomiya, famous for it's gyoza!