Nature Forum's Other Weekly Image Thread, January 26, 2018

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ShunCheung, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Street dog, Cambodia

E87E612E-3054-438B-8BAC-1C74C52EA4CF.jpeg

2. Always like animals that show they're trying to survive within an uninviting environment similar to Norman's wore out looking female dog. And with that I give you "Mangy" the outsider male deer who's not developing like the rest of the bucks. This one is in his early years where now he has only one horn. Just last week he got hit by a car and has seemed to recover quite well. I avoid feeding him because he still has mange going on 3 months.

"Mangy"
    IMGP6408.jpg

3. One of these things is not like the other....

curly nature versus railing.jpg

4. At the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge
    _MG_0111-Edit.jpg

5. Hi Debby,
    I am not an expert on birds but I believe this is a hawk, perhaps a Coopers Hawk. I don't think we have road runners in the Houston area where this photograph was taken.
    Brian

6. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

IMGP0017a - two geese.jpg

Two species, introduced by mankind, on the concrete edge of a river in a man-made park !

7. Thanks. I visited my sister in Austin and she swears they have road Runners but I never saw one. Oh well.

8. My daughter lived in Austin for a few years and she said she saw roadrunners there.

9. Debby,
    I live in Austin and I have Roadrunners in my backyard almost every day. I back up to a Greenbelt and also have deer in my backyard.

10. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

It looks like the entire Texas is in the Greater Roadrunner's range: Greater Roadrunner

At least for me, it is a bit difficult to identify the bird Brian posted above. If there is a side view of the head, it may be easier to tell.

11. I see Roadrunners every day in my backyard.... DSC_9328.jpg

12. Prints F-1-23.jpg
    Shun, Here is another photo.

13. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Thanks Bill and Brian. A side view of the head indeed makes a difference. The hawk also doesn't have the type of crest the roadrunner has.

BTW, each member is still restricted to posting just one image per thread, but we are always allowed to post additional images to clarify a situation. For example, if someone wants to know your lighting set up for a macro shot, you can show an image of the lighting set up, which is obviously not natural subjects. The additional images from Brian and Bill are welcome.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Bill J Boyd likes this.
  14. Now that is really cool. I guess I have to go back to Texas. Beautiful!

Bill J Boyd likes this.
  15. Roger G

Roger G Roger G

Nice photo - immature Coopers Hawk.

16. It's a Cooper's Hawk going by the brown teardrop shaped pattern markings on the front of its breast.

I see them in my local Landa Park on occasion living here in New Braunfels, TX. This one I shot quite a while back...

IMGP4371.jpg

luistriguez, DawsonPointers and Gup like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.