'Natural' lens coatings.

adrian bastin

I put this up on a just-previous thread but thought it, maybe, worth

one of it's own:

A chap who gave us art students a crash coarse in photography (1960s

Bristol) believed that old, old lenses aquired a natural coating. I

can well believe this ; if you have ever dug up a very old bottle, in

the garden, the glass surface has often begun to stratify giving it a

rainbow, or even a gold colour,- a perfect looking coating.

Any thoughts ? Is this why very old Elmars give such interesting

results ?

Adrian.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Adrian - I replied on the earflier 50mm thread: fascinating - and very probable. My old 1930 Leica I standard Elmar, however, shows no sign of it, - an I posted a couple of images on that earlier thread - shot almost into the sun on the beach - and I think they show how well this lens captures and registers light.

Thanks very much for all of your respunses. I have read that Taylor Taylor hobson experimented with lens surface textures before coatings were found.

Rob: thanks for re-posting your photos here. The old Elmar seems to put a little colour into all parts of the picture, and not in an arbitrary way, either. Fascinating!

Will have a rummage to see what images I can find from my 1©

Adrian.

Just back in from splitting some wood for the fire - and if I look at your posted photo just

right - I can see, peripherally, the scene of fridgid whiteness out my office window

juxtaposed against the rich warm greens of your image. Very tempting to be in a warmer

place right now. And about your photo - judging from the richness exhibited by your

circa 1930 lens, I'm guessing that it had been buried for quite awhile!

In the Ukraine, somewhere,- at least, that's where it came to me from not so long ago. It's buried in Somerset, now, as I am - figuratively speaking.

The picture is from a couple of months ago (the "prepared earlier" is from an ancient British childrens' television program wherein interesting things are made from lavatory-paper tubes etc. but a finished one is always produced that was prepared earlier. So a stiff cat, perhaps....) so it's not that green here, now. It's been a slow Autumn, though, and some leaves are still hanging in there.

Slightly OT, - but in the cause of science, I think.

Your photo brings me back a couple of years - to a scene just outside of Dembidollo in

southwestern Ethiopia. Having stood for a couple of hours in the bed of a Toyota driving

over some pretty rough roads, we stopped for a moment, just as the light was falling over

the trees - just like in your photo. A long day photographing water and medical projects,

and a food distribution center - dog tired and yet this scene before me gave me some

solace, and a reason to raise my Leica once again. I'll need to upload some of these to this

forum soon - maybe over the holidays.

I have an old lens from a yard-sale purchased Foth Derby that has a very even "oxidation

coating" on its surface.

I also just did a little google search, and came up with the following: http://

www.wisner.com/coatings.html and this: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=00CPgZ from this forum. A little conflicting info here - with the forum post's

questions about whether glass can truly oxidize.

I'm beginning to infer from all of this that my original intuition might be correct - that

glass with more impurities might be more subject to oxidation.

As I type this one of my two cats sits and watches me intently - little does she know how

lucky she is that the ground is frozen!

I don't know if it applies to photography but in painting, landscape seems to be regarded as not relevant, or as escapist and that the problems of the world should be addressed, even if it is just in the style it is painted. That is how it is in the UK, anyway. I don't go for that ; art is a ballance in the world and if it is escapist, it's necessarily so, sometimes.