National Geographic Workshops and Expeditions

erinrooney

While browsing the web the other day I came across National Geographic's Photography Workshops and

Expeditions and was wondering if any of you have taken part in this or anything similar. I'm a college student looking

to travel after graduation or possibly over one of my breaks and this really caught my eye, but I'm not sure if it would

be worth it or better to try to plan something on my own. Any thoughts?

I don't know the NGS operation, but the Photo Mentoring/Popular Photographer operation was, as I and my daughter

found it, a nice combination of some instruction plus putting you in the right places to get interesting shots.

And with everybody on the tour being a photographer, there's none of that "For chrissakes' Wilbur, get on with

it" stuff.

All of the NG workshops sound excellent but I'm sure you didn't check out their prices. They are quite expensive. This may be a concern for many college students without a super-size budget. There are many very good photo workshops out there less expensive.

But hey, if you have the money, they sure will take you to some exciting exotic places.

I've been involved with instructing at NGS workshops and they are excellent. You receive first class instruction and personal attention. As mentioned above, the workshops are pricey. While you will receive some first class instruction, you shouldn't expect the workshop to provide viable "connections" for employment with the Geographic. If instruction is your only goal and you can afford it, it's a great opportunity. IMO, students who get the most benefit from the workshops are those who have 3-6 personal "expeditions" under their belts and who have specific questions and hurdles they want to conquer. For relative newbies, these workshops can be the most expensive way to learn basics.