Namibia

harry_harrington

Harry, If you can only spare a week in Namibia and are mostly interested in seeing wildlife, I would suggest that you visit Etosha National Park in the northern part of the country. It is one of the largest parks in the world, occupying 23,000 square kilometers. There are quite a bit of African elephants in the park (I counted 54 elephants around a waterhole in one afternoon last year,) and huge herds of Burchell's zebra, blue wildebeest, springbok and gemsbok as well as plenty of giraffes. Other animals that can be seen include impala, hartebeest, eland, warthog, spotted hyena, white and black rhinoceros, leopard and lion. There are three campgrounds where you can stay inside the park with simple, but reasonable accomodations, Okaukuejo is my favorite. Try to get one of the bungalows near the waterhole at Okaukuejo if you decide to stay here. The other two campgrounds are Halali and Namutoni, all different from each other. I stayed at the three of them to be able to visit all the waterholes around each area, as it is a 150 kilometers drive on the main dirt road from Okaukuejo to Namutoni. Halali is in the middle, 75 kilometers from the other two. Hope that this is helpful, have a great time,

Ligia

I agree with Ligia - Etosha is the place for viewing wildlife in Namibia. You may also want to consider the Dan Viljoen Park (which is just outside Windhoek) and the Skeleton Coast (near Swakopmund) - home to one of the largest seal communities in the world.

Try not to leave Namibia without also visiting the huge sand dunes in Sossouvlei and the Brandenburg mountains, if you get time.

Have a great trip. Try this link for tourist info: http://www.namibweb.com/

Hi Harry,

One week is not a lot and Namibia is huge (at least for me who is living in Germany which is a small country). Do not waste your time by travelling to much. Etosha is of course the best place for wildlife. You can easily spend some weeks in this Nationalpark (take plenty of film).

The Namib desert is absolute fantastic for landscape. I travelled 6 weeks in Namibia and I enjoyed the desert. If you go to the Namib-Naukluft Nationalpark, you should ensure to overnight at the campground within the Nationalpark close to Sossusvlei. If you stay outside, you are not able to reach the dunes in the early morning hours. Climbing the dunes in the early morning hours and in the late afternoon hours is a must. Close to this camp there is a private owned wildlife park, the Namib Rand Reserve. It's worth staying in the Wolwedans Dune Camp. Both, the Wolwedans Dune Camp and the campground in the Nationalpark are very popular. Advanced reservations are required. Please have a look at my website www.lindenlaub.net You will find pictures of my trip. Enjoy your trip.

regards Marcus Lindenlaub