Name of camera support with four legs to photograph from directly overhead?

jennhogg

I hope someone might know what you would call a camera support that

has four legs into which you rest the camera body with the lens facing

perpendicular to the legs themselves so that you can photograph what

is directly underneath? I saw the camera support in question on one

of those CSI shows and seems like it would be very useful to me. How

do I even go about looking for one? Any names, makers or even model

numbers would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

I think you mean the lens is parallel to the legs, at least somewhat. Otherwise the camera would not be pointed down, but sideways.

One is the Quadropod, http://home.earthlink.net/~quadrapod99/id1.html.

I also recall from rangefinder days that one or more companies made copy stands that consisted of 4 detachable legs connected to a central circle, upon which you placed your camera. A closeup lens was sometimes part of the package, matching the height of the contraption. Minox had one for their subminis, Leica probably did, and probably some independents.

I went to a search engine, looking for all the words, four, legs, camera, stand.

Bill

Could you be possibly be thinking of something like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=248944&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

No,on second thought. Confusing, a tripod (three legs)no, but with four legs. Hmmm.Ahh a little bird whispers in my ear-- Quite possibly a fixed height copy stand, like the ones with four legs and a filter type mount for the camera...try Canon accessories. And even closeup accessories in KEH used cameras. Search for "table top copy stands,_ best I can come up with right off bad. Stumper,that one. CSI very popular with the little lady BTW. Gerry

Canon "Handy Stand F" sounds like this might be the item or a facsimile. Discontinued,but so what. Keep an eye for one on eBay. Everyone comes to eBay (like Rick's Place,n'est ce pas?) This stand was for Canon cameras and close lenses, but had four adjustable splayed legs as you describe and was used for moderate size documents with camera plopped into hole between said legs. It came with a small focus ring I recall for fine adjustment and was made for the old FD Canon mechanical cameras--which is all one required for copy work anyhow. Good luck,Jennifer. A start methinks. Canon museum on line site might furnish an image of said item.jut go to Canon Museum. I use a Bogen tripod with a supplementary parallel arm mounted on top for copying stuff lately. GS

I have the Leica version of this which went by the unlikely name of BOOWU. It consists of four extensible legs, click stopped at positions for A4, A5 and A6, with three matching extension tubes. They are often, and for understandable reasons, referred to as 'Spider Legs'.

Unlike a tripod with a centre column that can be turned sideways (such as the Benbo) you need either two lamps to illuminate the subject or some other form of shadowless lighting because, otherwise, one or more of the legs will cast a shadow.

For doing a lot of copying or photography of small objects they're very usefull but for the occassional shot they're a lot of trouble to set up, largely because of the lighting requirements.

Several companies made such devices. The sturdiest was one made by Gitzo but it was also the largest. I have the once popular Asahi Pentax Copipod. It comes in a nice compact vinyl case. You will have to get the right adapter to fit the front of your lens to the Copipod. The part which attaches to the lens has a 49mm male filter thread. This is because most of the short focal length Asahi M42 screw mount lenses made in the time period of the Copipod had a 49mm filter size. You can use adapters to go up or down. It is not advantageous to use very fast lenses for copy work so image cut-off from the adapter shouldn't be a problem. You may need to use a macro lens or an extension tube or close-up lens with a standard 50mm lens to get to the desired focusing range. The length of each leg of the Copipod can also be adjusted. If you use the Copipod with a digital camera you may have a built-in close-up feature and that would work well with the Copipod. I got mine on eBay for very little money.