Nairobi Camera shop

jesse_kramer

You might want to run down to local camera store in town and pick up a N80/N75 and send it US post office Global Express mail and it could be there in 5 days or less. I just send a new 30gb Ipod to Australia via Global Express and it got to my sister-in-law in 60 hrs from time of mailing.

The cost of postal will be less than the markup at a store in Kenya. Even in Austrlaia, most Nikon gear sells for at least 50% more than here.

I remember a professional level camera store on the north side of Nairobi. I was appalled at the prices and never returned to it. I have been searching my Nairobi guides for its name but have had no luck at present. Perhaps the best source for stores in Nairobi would come from the Nairobi Photographic Society, P.O.Box 49876 Tel:337129.

"Please note that I have considered fedexing a N75 to her. I have been informed that Kenyan

customs requires documentation from the country of MANUFACTURE that I cannot get in a

timely manner."

Consider calling the Kenyan Consulate and making your case to a diplomat. You'd be

surprised at the magic things that can happen with such a course of action.

I have heard some stories that people break their high-end SLRs during photo safaris. Even though they manage to contact B&H to overnight one over, there is too much red tape at the destination countries.

Perhaps your daughter can just buy some point and shoot camera locally and use that for the rest of the trip. If photography is that important to her, next time remember to bring a backup. The two times I went to East Africa, I had 3 Nikon bodies with me each time. Fortunately for me, I have never had a body failed in the field. I have had lens problems a few times, though.