bought a used N90s. The difference is evident at the first touch. My

question, though, is that when I try to shoot with a 35-105mm lens,

it squeaks quite loud. The problem seems to be the lens because when

I try to shoot with a 20 mm, there is no squeak. The guy in the

repair shop tells me there is nothing wrong. Is this correct? Should

I keep the used N90s although is currently discontinued by Nikon? Or

should I wait a bit and, then, upgrade to F100? I appreciate any

help. Thanks,

Yes, I am talking about the autofocus on N90s. The 35-105 lens squeaks a bit manually but on the N90s, the noise is loud. I had doubts because when I bought the camera, the guy told me the squeak was strange (we tried different lenses on the same body) and this is the reason why I took the repair shop to begin with. The guy on the shop, though, told me there is no problem with the camera and, if I am to shoot with lenses that range in focal lenght, the squeak in inevitable. And, yes, I have fresh batteries installed. Are N90s loud when autofocusing, in general? Thanks for the responses.

"if I am to shoot with lenses that range in focal lenght, the squeak in inevitable." Hmmmm...sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. I use a 28-105mm on my two N90's (which is slightly different than the N90s, but not by much) with no squeak. I wish I knew why it did that, but I'd simply suggest you try another repair shop--one that won't try to snow you.

Regarding the general noise generated, it depends on both the body and the lens. My 80-200mm AF/S truly is silent, but I can hear the 28-105 focus. It's not loud though--I easily use it to shoot weddings when quiet is important. The F100 is much quieter for just about everything, though, particularly the film rewind (my only gripe about the N90).

Good luck!