dennis_young

I have recently starting getting the fEE error message on my N80

when coupled with a Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens. This lens and body

combination worked without problems for several years. Other Nikon

lenses, including AF-D and AF-S will work on the N80 without any

problems. The 80-200 works without any problems on two different F5

bodies. I have changed the battery in the N80 and have cleaned both

the contacts on the camera and body without any sucess. I have

checked the manual and auto focus switch and have it set on auto.

This problem has really got my stumped. Does anyone have an idea of

what can be causing this problem?

Stupid question... is the aperture ring locked? If its not locked, thats the problem. I have had this problem with my lenses as well when the lock is accidentally "unlocked"...

HTH - Brian

Constance, the manual/auto focus control won't cause a minimum aperture detect error "fEE".

If the minimum aperture lock is on, take a look at the end of the minimum aperture post for any dents, missing corners, etc. If this post doesn't depress the sensor on the F80 far enough, it won't sense the minimum aperture.

The F5 doesn't use a minimum aperture sensor.

I�m stupid too. What�s a "minimum aperture post?" Is it what I might call an EE Servo Coupling Posts designed for the DS-1, 2 and 12 EE Aperture Control units or is it something else? I searched Google for "minimum aperture post" and got zero hits then searched for "EE Servo Coupling Post" and got six or eight. I�ve never heard of it before. I don�t have an N80 so I can�t check from that angle.

Thanks,

Craig:

Now I have to figure out why my F80s is giving me the fEE sign with this lens. I tried it on my F70 and it doesn't do that. It's fine on the F80s when the switch is set to AF/M but gives me the message if I flip the switch to M.

What should I try cleaning? On the lens or on the camera?

Conni

Conni -

A long shot, but you might simply have a tolerance problem. For some reason, my 80-200 AF-D has a little more 'slop' in the lens lock than some of my other lenses. I can rotate the lens on the mount a few degrees (I'm guessing) without unlocking it. Maybe the act of setting your lens to 'M' is rotating your lens enough that it rolls away from the little tab; setting it back to 'A' rolls it the other way.

• 6 years later...
<p>So I need help with this as well. I don't know if the previous issue was ever resolved. I am a high school Photography Teacher (brand new... like 2 weeks into it) and my school ordered Nikon F80's for the students to use. They failed to order lenses though, so we ordered those seperately and got a Tamron lense. To be completely honest I have limit knowledge of the cameras and am stumped with an issue. Everytime the kids go to move the aperture to anything other than 22 they get an fEE message in the screen. The aperture lock doesnt seem to engage on any setting other than 22. The camera is set to M b/c the kids need it in manual for the class. So switching to Auto is not an option. I dont know how to fix it. I have tried on 3 of our cameras and we keep getting the same result. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Bill, your F80 and Tamron lens are working as designed. When you use the F80, you are supposed to lock the aperture ring to the minimum aperture, in this case f22, and use the sub-commad dial on the camera body to control the aperture.</p>

<p>It has nothing to do with auto or manual focus so that the AF/MF setting does not matter.</p>

<p>P.S. The sub-command dial is the dial on the front side of the camera, right below the shutter release button. One typically controls it with the right index finger (or perhaps the middle finger). The main command dial is the one on the back side of the camera. One typically controls it with the right thumb.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>so can someone tell me how to make the fEE message go away in simple terms?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If your lens has an aperture ring, set that to the minimum aperture settings (largest number), such as f16 or f22. Use the sub-command dial on the camera to control the aperture; i.e. the command dial on the front side of the camera right below the shutter release button.</p>

<p>If your camera has only one command dial, you may need to hold down the aperture button and then turn the main command dial.</p>