N65 and N70 - Worth it?

ducksquat

I have a co-worker who switched to the D200 and wants to get rid of their N65

and N70. I don't have a film SLR anymore and miss being able to do very very

long exposures at night for such silly things as star trails that my D70 will

not do.

He's willing to give both for $175 or either for $100/each and they're in

pristine condition and hardly used at all.

Is this a good deal? Do these cameras have the ability to do infinate

exposure? I don't see a place for a cable remote trigger so I assume it's

electronic remote trigger?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

the "bulb" shutter setting on the N65 allows you to press the shutter release to open the shutter, and then push it again to close it. Leave it open for as long as you want.

I am not totally certain, but I think you can buy the electronic remote for the D70 and it will do the same thing (as opposed to holding the shutter release down for the entire exposure). The remote is cheaper than the film cameras. Make sure the remote can do this first.

I have an N 70 and my school yearbook staff has the N65. Both in OK condition and seldom used in the last 2 years. B&H did not want either as trade because they have little value....even in prime condition. The N65 has easier features to learn. The N70 was unique in it's day, but somewhat complicated for a non-Nikon or novice user. I think the N70 had a wireless remote to do some of the things you want to do. Not sure about the N65.

I think if serious about film shooting I would consider getting either or both- since you are already into Nikon with the D70. The price is not bad considering you know the people and the use of these cameras. Buying from ebay or other sources, you never know what a camera has been through. N70 is a better built camera with features like spot metering, 1/125 flash sync, which is lower on the N65. But the N65 is still a current model, and I believe it supports the Nikon VR lenses, as does your D70. Check Nikon USA website. If you have an interest in VR lenses, the N65 would be a better film companion to your D70. I recently saw the lesser N55 on the shelf at Ritz camera for $219. Film still has many advantages of its own. Try the new Kodak Ultracolor professional print film, ISO 100 & 400 for colorful scenes. Terrific! I shot some ISO 100 I ordered from B&H last summer. The first print film I have ever seen that responded to my polarizing filters like slide film does!