My vote: it sucks

duolian

My vote on the new format for display of folders � in which there is

a data line under each thumbnail showing the number of ratings, the

average �aesthetics� and �originality� rating, and the number of

views:

<p>Awful.

<p>What, photo.net needs even <i><b>more</b></i> emphasis on

ratings? People aren't thinking enough about ratings already?

<p>And viewers are not even going to see a reasonably-sized version

of an image before its �score� is trumpeted?

<p>To whoever came up with this idea: Please reconsider.

<p>Besides, it just looks bad. Cluttered. Messy. Text junking up

what used to be pure image. The grey background is also awful.

I agree with Dave, the new format doesn't feel right. Would you consider changing it to include the title, and hide the ratings/views? The concept of a 'score' cheapens an otherwise classy site, and it puts emphasis on the weakest element of photo.net. If you feel it is necessary, would you consider giving the author discretion to turn off the 'scoreboard'. As it stands, the score is the primary visual target, not quite what most of us are interested in. Also, I agree, the grey background gives a muddy look to the frame, weakening the visual impact of enclosed images. An advance ahead would be to go back.

I made the display of the rating info an option. I've already received several messages from people saying that they like being able to check their ratings from the folders. Dave, a lot of people upload photos for the feedback, and as flawed as they may be, the ratings are an important form of feedback.

However, there is a lot of support for the grey background. It is not just aesthetics, although I happen to think it looks nicer. With a grey background, people don't need to boost the saturation of color images as much.

<i>"However, there is a lot of support for the grey background. It is not just aesthetics, although I happen to think it looks nicer. With a grey background, people don't need to boost the saturation of color images as much."</i>

<p>Hmmm... maybe I'll just have to start adding a honking big white border to all my photos, like some folks here do... ;)

Brian,

I don't care much about ratings but I do care about critiques. I noticed that my 2 submitted images didn't have ratings. However, one did have a critique. I think it would be nice to also list a count of critiques if possible. This would also help satisfy those that hate ratings by enabling you to place some emphasis on the number of critiques.

Thanks,

Thang Hoang

I'll second (or third?) the remarks regarding the gray border: I like 'em too. I just

wish that there were only three images per row. I browse in an 800 pixel wide window

and the fourth image on a given row is almost always off the edge. Three columns

might be better (for me, anyway). And the reason for an 800 pixel window: I like my

browser like I like my pages in a book, portrait format, not landscape. Back when I

was a kid, we didn't have no stinkin' "Internet". We stuck electrical wires in our eyes

and if we saw a spark it was a one. Everything else was a zero and we made up images

in our heads. And we *liked* it! :) (Sorry, I'm still a little loopy from working out.)