My sister is getting married

Alex

<p>I'll be honored to walked her down the aisle; and the (paid) photographer will take the pictures as it happens on most normal weddings.<br>

If it was up to me (not to displace the actual photographer) but for my own entertainment. I would take both cameras and lenses to the wedding along with the flashes a few light stands and a softbox; for obvious reasons plus my wife's devine intervention I need to limit my load so I don't end up looking like another photographer on all the pictures.<br>

What should I take?<br>

The one body is going to be a Canon 7D. The accessories is what I need to figure out and I could use some wise advise from the pros.<br>

This is what I could take besides the body.<br>

1) Camera grip. I like the idea but more bulk.<br>

2) RPS Studio flash bracket.<br>

3) 2x Canon 580EXII and 1x Canon 430EXII<br>

4) 1x Pocket Wizard Mini<br>

5) 2x Pocket Wizard FLEX TT5<br>

6) 24"x24" Lastolite Eazy Box / unbrellas<br>

7) Light stands<br>

8) Tripod?<br>

Canon EFS 10-22, Canon EF 24-70 Canon EF 70-200 2.8 IS Canon EF 50 1.4 Canon EF 100 2.8. and a back pack to carrie whatever I end up taking.<br>

Thanks for your feed back</p>

<p><strong><em>"for my own entertainment . . .</em> w<em>hat should I take . . .The one body is going to be a Canon 7D. The accessories is what I need to figure out and I could use some wise advise from the pros."</em></strong><br /><br />My advice is to treat yourself to an extension of your comfort zone - you are "Lighting Heavy" and it is your Sister's Wedding - buy a treat for yourself get the 35L or the 24L take it and your 7D and kick back and get some great moments “sans flash” - extend yourself - it will open up a whole new vista . . . you will have to think and move and see the light and see the best place to be for the moment . . . <br /><br />If you don’t have the cash for the gift to yourself then use the 50/1.4. If your other camera is a 5D or 5DII then use it with the 50, not the 7D. <br /><br />WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>when i go to a wedding as a guest, i take 1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash..thats it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ditto that sentiment.</p>

<p>In similar situations I take my Leica M, two lenses and six rolls of film. Nothing more. Enough for several hundred beautiful images in any kind of light, but in equipment terms discrete and unassuming.</p>

<p>Less is definitely more. Looking at your equipment list, I have to say that's more than I'd take on an actual assignment, let alone as a guest going to a party :-)</p>

<p>One camera, and if you can locate a 85mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.4 lens, you could do some 'fill-the-frame' portraits using available light. Only a wide-angle lens will give you a lot of the room atmosphere, but decent close-ups will be tough.</p>

<p>I guess if it is a rainy day (on the wedding date,) your taking the flash umbrella would have a two-fold use.... but the hired photographer may have second thoughts of having to wait for you to finish your shots after you have set up <strong>your traveling studio</strong>.</p>

The way I see it, be a wedding guest or a photographer, not both. You are part of the wedding party, so focus on that. If

you absolutely have to have a camera, use a p&s. Relax, they've hired a photographer so you don't have to be one.

Also, the photog might have an exclusivity clause in the contract...

<p>Take nothing, why ? 2 reasons:<br>

1. Have respect for the "hired photographer" you would want the same.<br>

2. Enjoy the wedding.<br>

Neil Ambrose said::<br>

<em>"""I take my Leica M, two lenses and six rolls of film""""</em><br>

What is film ???</p>

<p>I can see a future Posting on the Wedding Forum "When to tell the wedding guest to put their professional gear down"</p>

<p>Nadine will say, "Be patient, subtly ignore them"<br>

WW will say, "I really don't have problems like this"<br>

Bernardo in La will say something about some horrible time he had, and how he doesn't give them the DVD<br>

Mark T will comment "man I hate that"<br>

Neil, always gracious, will point out that in the UK guests don't cross the line of guest and photographer</p>

<p>And I will probably respond with something like...."just let them take the picture, now double your prices!"</p>

<p>I tease because I love<br>

:-p</p>

<p>You don't very often see someone show up to a symphony concert dressed in tails, and conducting along from a score in the front row, right underneath the real conductor. We musicians would have some choice words for him.....</p>

<p>Be carefull Alex, or you could take the award as the worst ever Uncle Bob from Hell, if you use your sisters wedding as your "photo opportuinity".As a wedding photographer I would be seriously pissed if you hauled out all that gear and got in my way.Family weddings are not just about capturing memories but creating good ones also.So my advice is...................<br>

Take one body.<br>

A short zoom.<br>

One Flash.<br>

Hang all of the above on the shoulder of your choosing.<br>

Party with your sister and family.<br>

And most important.....dance with your wife.{;~)</p>

<p>Thanks for all your feed back.<br>

I guess I'll have to simplify my choice of what to take and go with the camera one lens 24-70 2.8L and perhaps take the 10-22 and 50 1.4 and leave those in the car along with a flash gun, just in case.<br />I enjoy taking pictures so much I can't go places with out a camera. It's like watching a movie without popcorn, or going mountian hiking wearing flip flaps.<br />I'll make sure I talk to the Pro and stay out of his way.<br>

PS: I was not intending to take that whole list from above.</p>

<p><em>I can see a future Posting on the Wedding Forum "When to tell the wedding guest to put their professional gear down"</em><br>

Yep, been there, had uncle Joe with a better digital camera than I did. He did not have a "L" series lens though.<br>

That is what I miss about film days, no guest ever had a Hasselblad<em>. </em></p>

<p>I've been a guest and a photographer and it's not that fun. Our friends were getting married and I offered to photograph the wedding as they had no budget and it was a tiny affair. It was really hard to get the balance and I reallly didn't feel like I was a guest or a photographer, just somewhere in between.<br>

If I were you I'd just take a small camera, 1 lens and enjoy the party - who wants to do work on their day off!</p>

<p>Gregory--at several weddings I shot, guests had Hasselblads. I was "patient, and subtly ignored them". :^) Seriously--I struck up conversations with them. One of them was using a Metz 40MZ on top, and I had never considered that it was a good combo, so I had to ask him about it.</p>

<p>Alex--I agree with everyone else. Keep it low key and simple. I wouldn't even take a zoom. I would consider it an opportunity to stretch my photographic vision at a wedding in a different direction. You're still bringing too much stuff--there is no "in case". If your gear breaks down, it is 'meant to be'. Consider the self imposed gear limitation a chance for new growth that will perhaps help you be a better wedding photographer when you are the hired one.</p>

<p>I would also say that if the wedding goes into the evening, an f2.8 zoom is going to drive you to use flash. If you don't want to bring the flash, or be flashing, bring one or two wide aperture prime lenses.</p>

<p>Daniel.<br>

:) (BIG, HUGE, SMILE) . . . <br>

<br>

*** <br>

<br>

Alex, <br>

<br>

Yes I understood that you like to take your cameras everywhere - I doo too - and that you were only choosing from the list, some items.<br>

<br>

My advice hasn't changed: One Camera, One Prime Lens - extend yourself.<br>

<br>

*** <br>

<br>

BTW, Jerry, an 85 on a 7D is awfully long - I suggested a 35 or 24 on the 7D and a 50 on a 5D . . . with any of those combinations the Brother of the Bride can get decent "close-ups", IMO.<br>

<br>

*** <br>

<br>

What two lenses Neil?<br>

35/2 and 80/1.4? . . . Or 35/2 and 50/1.4? <br>

(are my guesses in order)<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Ok thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll thake the camera and most likely the 50 1.4... And one flash since I'll need it at night.<br>

Ben I wish I did drink, that way I could use my hands to hold something other than the camera all night but that is not the case and I'm not into dacing either so that is why I see my self enjoying the wedding taking pictures.<br>

Lets see what I came back with.</p>

<p>I had a similar situation on Sunday. A good friend of mine got married and I offered to shoot a little at her ceremony. I used only a 70-200 on a d300 and then ditched the camera at my hotel before the party. I had a great time and still got some great shots!</p>