My review of Fujifilm X-E3

1574759717_X-E33obiektywy.thumb.JPG.425e13e7d12114e8b607a775a6fd3e7e.JPG

I was loaned a Fujifilm X-E3 for the weekend and wrote a review jointly with a friend who still uses X-E1 and is very fond of the X-E series. The review at my blog is in Polish but photographs and their captions should be self-explanatory. Here is a link to the entry:

https://towarzystwonieustraszonychsoczewek.blogspot.com/2017/09/fujifilm-x-e3-uliczny-sztukmistrz.html#more

And here is a summary of the review in English., which you will also find at the end of the entry:

Fujifilm X-E3 - a street conjurer of APS-C format

Owing to its small size and weight, X-E3 is an excellent camera for travel, documentary, street photography and it will work very well as a second – or third - body for wedding photographers. The design is minimalistic, pure form styling with fluid lines is exemplary, and metal construction is great. Ergonomically, the camera misses the mark, but classic rangefinder Leicas, which used to rule the world of reportage photography for decades, did not fare any better in this respect. The touchscreen will be certainly a „love or hate” affair, but control by touch can be switched off. Autofocus is truly improved upon it its predecessor, and JPEGs straight from the camera will make most users happy. X-E3 is the best camera in X-E series by a safe margin. Is it the best Fujifilm mirrorless camera yet? Well, it depends on who the end user is. For those who like the image quality from, and styling of X100F, but prefer interchangeable lens solutions, an X-E3 with a prime is an answer. As X-E3 and X-T20 share a lot of internals and have a similar price, the choice between the two is up to individual preferences; for example whether we want a smaller body with rangefinder styling, Bluetooth, a joystick for AF point selection and an offset viewfinder (X-E3), or a bigger one with SLR styling, tilting LCD screen and central viewfinder (X-T20). My first close encounter with a Fujifilm product showed that it definitely is not the company’s ambition to satisfy all needs with a single camera, true to the thinking that a Jack of all trades is master of none. And although I have recently seen a camera that defies such thinking, I have to admit that with X-E3 Fujfilm created a camera that will be hard to beat for a certain, specific group of users.

Best

Jarek

• 1 month later...
Do you have any experience with the X-E2s?

Is the difference between that camera and the X-E3 enough to justify trading up?

I would almost (but not quite) trade up just for the Acros mode, since I do mostly black and white with the X-E2s anyway.

Unfortunately no, so I cannot offer any advice. A hyper-critical friend of mine, who owns the original X-E1, told me the X-E3 did not offer enough to tempt him to trade up.

Best

Jarek