My quick review of Olympus EPL5

cc_chang2

<p>Just some back ground: my primary camera system has been the Nikon dSLR and I currently own a D90, plus a couple of very good lenses (Nikon 17-55/2.8, 35/1.8, 85/1.8 and Sigma 50/1.4). 4-5 years ago I experimented the m4/3 system with the Panasonic GH1 and since then I have collected quite a few lenses for this system (14-140, 20/1.7, 14/2.5, and 45/2.8). While I love the video from GH1 and its overall IQ for stills, I have been intrigued by the new sensor brought to us by the OMD. I do not think I would get the GH3 because it is too expensive for my needs and it is now a much bigger camera. The OMD is also not cheap and about the same size as the GH1. So finally I bought the EPL5, which uses the same sensor as the OMD (and may be GH3), but is smaller and cheaper. With a 20/1.7 or 14/2.5, it fits in a jacket pocket with ease.</p>

<p>I don't want to write a lengthy review but in a few simple words, I love this little camera and may soon sell my GH1. Its IQ is substantially better in terms of high ISO and most importantly of dynamic range. While this camera does not have any command wheels with which to easily change settings, I do not find this to be a big enough issue. When I used the 14-140, I just leave it in P (and see no point to mess with S and A). The video outputs are at least as good as the one in GH1, so for filming family videos, it is more than capable. The camera is well made and handles well, considering its very compact size. The JPEG images are sharp with very nice color, warmer (slightly more pleasant) than those from the GH1. In terms of JPEGs, they are much better than those from the D90. The IBIS and AF work as advertised and I particularly like the face-detection feature which works wonder to track fast moving kids, even at dim light. Although I use only Panasonic lenses with this camera, I do not see any obvious CA and distortion in the JPEGs, although you may be more critical than me in this area. All in all, I love it and wish Olympus can come up with a fast normal zoom, like the Panasonic 12-35/2.8. I also wish they can find a way to add a built in flash. The camera comes with a nice add on flash but I tend to leave it home ...</p>

<p>Hope this helps those who are interested in this camera.</p>

<p>Thanks, CC. I've shot about 50 images with my new E-PL5, and second most of what you say. The E-PL5 is the first new camera for me since I bought a Canon 10D eight years ago. Really. I bought the VF-3, and it works very well, but the image is somewhat small and the color balance is slightly colder than the LCD. Having said that, I am really liking the LCD after years of the miniscule LCD on the 10D. With the neck strap, I can hold the camera very securely by bracing by elbows against my sides - just like the old TLR I used years ago. I don't have large hands, but I find the E-PL5 a little smaller than I would prefer.</p>

<p>I have a drawer full of Pentax SMC lenses from my ME Super days back in the 80's. I bought a Pentax adapter for MFT. While I've not had a chance to thoroughly test them all, some of the initial results are very pleasing. My Pentax 50mm 1.7 is really sharp, and I have a Pentax mount Tokina 80-210 (160-420) zoom that also looks promising. </p>

<p>I really like being able to press the shutter half way, change the focus manually, and have the camera zoom in to focus. I'll be spending the weekend shooting some more with the Oly 14-42 and various Pentax lenses. But so far, I'm very pleased. My 10D will be gathering dust.</p>

<p>The buttons are small and I find myself using the finger nails a lot. However this is to be expected since the camera is so small. Olympus can partially address this by better implementing the touch screen UI, which is not yet well developed.</p>

<p>I too experimented with MF lens especially before 45mm native lenses are available. I have now sold all of them and stayed with the native lenses, which are small with outstanding IQ and can take advantage of all the electronics in the camera.</p>