My old Epson printer

Afternoon all,

Okay after shopping around for printers I decided to at least try and get one of the ones I already have back into action. It's an Epson Pro 2200 that has been sitting idle for a while. Not good for it I know and it's relatively old tech but for what I paid for it at the time I figure it is worth a go and besides, it produced good prints. I've replaced all the ink cartridges and have run several cleanings through it. The yellow seems to be not wanting to work, a common problem I gather. The others seem to be fine but yellow is getting nowhere. The ink I installed is not new but was still sealed in original packaging and as far as I know, properly stored. Is there another step I can take to cleaning this thing up or am I faced with buying new ink cartridges and hoping for the best? This was never a low budget printer to operate and that's fine but I don't want to simply waste money. Has anyone else run into this kind of problem? Thanks.

Rick H.

Absolutely fascinating! Or maybe its just scary what turns me on these days...anyway I used that link from Sandy and tried the Windex method soaking the parking pad. I didn't even know what that was until tonight and now I have ink on my fingers. Directions say to leave it without power overnight so we'll see tomorrow what happens. Thanks everyone!!

Rick H.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but when my old 1160 clogged I removed the offending cart, filled a child's ear syringe with windex and ith e syringe tipwould fit nice and snug over the nipple where the cart attached. I'd leave it there for a while to soak, then force the windex through by force. That always worked for me.

I used some of the tips in the link Sandy provided and soaked the ink pad with water and window cleaner. Worked a little bit. I'll try Micheal's idea or else drop the A bomb and go with the third thing on that link and see what happens. I did find ink cartridges for two other, newer, printers I also have. At this rate I'm going to get my own episode of "Hoarders" !!

Rick H.

• Like 1

When I let my Epson R1800 printer sit long enough to dry up the nozzles, I bought some dye-based so-called ink refills that were less than a tenth of the price of the pigment inks.

Then I used those inks to do the cleaning and now everything works well and I have real pigment ink loaded...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know if this will be helpful, but when my old 1160 clogged I removed the offending cart, filled a child's ear syringe with windex and ith e syringe tipwould fit nice and snug over the nipple where the cart attached. I'd leave it there for a while to soak, then force the windex through by force. That always worked for me.

This worked with the older printers. I used to fight clogs when switched to 3rd party 100% pigment ink. The ear syringe and winded or 409 always worked wonders.

That said, I run nozzle cheeks every 3-5 days on birth my 3880's. When I forgo any let them sit idl a few weeks, it took several cleaning cycles and lots of wasted ink to get them unclogged.

InkjetMall has an excellent cleaning fluid for this.