MY Nikon Coolpix L320 Camera

mark_goulding

<p>Was just wondering if somebody can give me an answer to a question I have and that is i'm going to a hockey game soon and i'm planning on taking my camera so I can take a few pictures and my seat is relatively far from the ice so I was wondering does the camera have a good enough zoom on it to where it looks like i'm actually close to the action?</p>

<p>With an effective focal length range of 22.5 to 525mm you should have enough zoom range. But the limiting factors in shooting hockey with a P&S are going to be image shake and shutter lag.<br>

It will be difficult to hold that camera steady enough to get a sharp picture at any shutter speed slower than 1/1000, and you probably won't have enough light for that fast of shutter speed. And when following the action, you'll have to anticipate the action when pressing the shutter button so the action will still be in the frame when the shutter actually clicks.<br>

<Chas><br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>It will be difficult to hold that camera steady enough to get a sharp picture at any shutter speed slower than 1/1000,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I meant to say "...hold the camera steady enough at that focal length (525mm) to get..."<br>

At shorter focal lengths you won't need such a short shutter speed.<br>

<Chas></p>

• 2 months later...

I have the Nikon Coolpix L320, and have used it at several of my grandson's basketball games. There is a sports scene mode that gets

interesting results, but it's a crapshoot. You hold the button down, and it keeps taking shots as fast as it can cycle. I've gotten a few OK

action shots that way, but it's pretty random.

Due to the distance (high zoom), low lighting, and fast ISO setting (automatically selected), the basketball photos are generally grainy.

There is a multi-shot mode that takes 16 frames in one button press. This can capture some action, but you have to time it right. These

photos are lower resolution.

I've taken video, with this camera, at the games and found that to be the most useful for catching the action.

The L320 is a few steps above my old P&S, but is still a somewhat low-end camera. I'm satisfied for the money I spent, But I do not expect

it to perform with the $1,000 + units.