My "new" M4. A problem? Help!

<p>On an impulse, I picked up an M4 on ebay, because I wanted to experience what it is like to have the enlarged 50mm framelines. I probably shouldn't have done that, because my experience with older cameras has not been good (it takes a lot of $$ to get them up to working speed).</p>

<p>The viewfinder of this M4 is dimmer then my current model M, and there is ghosting of the image to the side under certain lighting conditions that doesn't go away when the camera is focused. This ghosting doesn't happen all the time. Just when the camera is pointed to a light source.</p>

<p>Another issue is that --under any lighting condition --the image doesn't click together with the same degree of authority, like my current M. There's more uncertainty as whether something is in focus.</p>

<p>My question is whether what I described just a symptom of how these old Ms operate, or is there something wrong with the camera that needs adjustment/replacement? Thanking you-all in advance.</p>

<p>Definitely sounds like the rangefinder needs some cleaning and adjustment. It's not uncommon for a long-unused body to be in kind of grubby condition and need some attention. There are other competent techs out there and some are less backlogged.</p>

<p>Hi Stephen,</p>

<p>The internal finder glass surfaces have built up some haze over the years and the mechenism lubricants have dried out. Your M4 likely just needs a CLA (cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment).</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sherrykrauter.com/">Sherry Krauter</a> is another Leica repair person you might consider. Her turn around time is a little quicker than Don Goldberg, (<a href="http://www.dagcamera.com/">DAG</a>).</p>

<p>That definitely sounds unlike my own M4. So as everyone else has said, sounds like yours needs a little bit of love. <br>

(FWIW, My M4 has *way* better flare resistance than the M7 I had. The M7 wasn't even really in the same league)</p>