My New Contax 167MT

m_stephens

<p>I got interested in the Contax SLRs after owning a G1 and then G2 rangefinder - which I love. I really liked the Zeiss lenses. I recently acquired a clean 167MT with one Zeiss and two Yashica lenses. I was a tad bit skeptical of the way the Tv mode worked by sliding a lever repeatedly to select speeds, but in fact it works rather easily. The 167MT has Manual, Av and Tv modes. My usual use is Av, or manual for difficult exposure readings where I use my handheld meter.</p>

<p>I like the compact size and lightweight. And I like anything that uses AA batteries. This one uses (4) in the base. I also have a Contax 139Q and something I noticed is that the exposure systems in both cameras seem to be exceptional and hard to fool. Usually the first thing I do with a new camera is shoot a roll using nothing but the internal metering system and see if it is solid. All three of my Contax cameras perform very well in this regard.</p>

<p>The auto film load works slightly different than others. Usually the film loads when you close the back. With the 167MT you must close the back and trip the shutter before the film advances to the first frame. Otherwise the powered film handling works well. I don't shoot sports and action, so I don't really care about continuous shooting. This one will go at 3fps, but I have not tried it. I think the shutter sound is slightly toward the gritty side, and not as slick as some other cameras I have - a minor point. Shutter speed maximum is 1/4000 which I really appreciate. The LCD display mounted ion the top deck is informative and basic and uncluttered, which I also like a lot. (Small LCDs with dozens of special icons and weird glyphs are not appealing to me.)</p>

<p>This is an easy camera to enjoy and doesn't have too many quirks that would require lengthy digging in the user's manual. There are expensive Zeiss lenses aplenty, but there are also very affordable Yashica and other lenses with the C/Y mount.</p><div>00Yrfn-367701584.jpg.4e70d91e69a0aeed21de5f696387cbfc.jpg</div>

<p>Several other lenses to look for: The Yashinon 100 mm f3.5m macro. (it was a bargain even when it was new and a good performer), Yashinon 50mm f1.7 (or f.4) give lots of performance for the $$. Among the Contax lenses, the Carl Zeiss Tessar 45mm f2.8 is so compact that it makes your camera almost pocketable. </p>

Magnificent camera, one of the best ever of its kind. If you don't shoot much action and appreciate lightness and the

1/4000 shutter, look for a 159MM. Equally delightful, more conventional controls. I often pair them, 159 for relaxed

moments and 167 for action.

<p>August Horvath,<br>

Thanks for the tip on the 159MM. I may try to pick one up. I am suddenly building a bit of a Contax collection here. I have the 139Q, 167MT, and a G2. I'll bet the RFs are a real treat too. I have a few too many RFs to begin starting with another one. Well, ya never know though!</p>

<p>The Contax personality is definitely different than some of the other brands. My impression thus far is that they had less ginger bread. They chose fewer features to carefully implement versus throwing in the kitchen sink. It usually feels like everything you need, and nothing you don't need. That sort of vibe.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>They chose fewer features to carefully implement</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I always liked about Contax. As far as SLRs went I think I preferred them to Leicas. Now that I can afford them, I wonder which I should buy. Hm...</p>

<p>The RTSIII was one of my ultimate dream cameras back in the '90s. I have a magazine with a review of it and they say, IIRC, that the camera went through batteries very quickly. And that it had blue LEDs in the viewfinder. :-)</p>

<p>The 167 is a great camera. One of the big selling points for me is that it uses AAA batteries, has an amazing viewfinder, and has a spot meter. </p>

<p>A 167 with the 35-70 zoom or a 28, 50, 85 combo work well for a compact package. I have the 28-85 zoom that works very with the 167, but you will likely wan the battery grip for balance. Nothing about the 28-85 is compact so putting it on a small camera can be beside the point. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>One of the best lenses I have owned was the 21mm f3.5 Yashinon in C/Y mount (used on a 139Q). The 28mm f2.8 Yashinon (later model) is also a fine lens. I really wish I had kept the 21mm lens, but it went when I decided to go to RF photography. Normally Yashgica made more budget type lenses, but these ones were as good as anyone's offering at higher prices .</p>

<p>I picked up a 167 recently on a whim because KEH had one cheap. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite cameras for some of the reasons already mentioned. I have the Zeiss 50 1.7 with a Zeiss 28 2.8 on the way. For the 85, I might push the boat out and get the 1.4 version. It's capable of producing some stunning shots from what I have seen.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Another recent Contax convert/addict here!</p>

<p>Many years ago I made a choice between the Contax 167MT and the Canon T90 I plumped for the T90, had a great camera for a lot of years, building an extensive system round it. Later I bought into the Eos system when Digital came along. It always bugged me that my FD lenses were no good on the Eos, then last year I picked up a 50/1.7 in a charity shop for the price of a couple of beers and after using the 50 on my Canon DSLR I found the Zeiss look quite addictive. So...</p>

<p>One thing led to another and in the year since I've picked up a159MM, sold almost all of my FD stuff (paid for some some shiny new Canon EF L-series glass), some more Zeiss glass and finally, that long awaited 167MT. TBH, though I like the 167MT a lot I really love the simplicity and directness of the 159MM It's light, simple has TTL metering and a good choice of modes, including the proper open aperture manual metering missing from so most of Canon's FD bodies.</p>