My New Bessa R...

markdeneen

<p>Arrived in the morning mail. A nice new one still in the box and with warranty. This is my first Bessa, so I did not know what to expect really. I've been using a nice Voightlander Ultron f/1.9 28mm with my old Canon 7S. I decided it would be great to try a new camera and be able to compare.</p>

<p>I loaded up some BW400 so I could get it processed locally, and took the new Bessa for a spin. Well, it's a real luxury to have a TTL meter system, so I put my Gossen meter away and just used the built in. The Bessa is a good bit lighter and smaller than my Canon. Although it is made nicely, it is in some spots a bit flimsy compared to the older Canon Tank. But the moment I raised the viewfinder to my eye all that went away! The Bessa is the brightest VF I have ever owned and the focus is like magic. I don't have great eyesight and the Canon has been a challenge for me to focus quickly. WOW - this is literally a night and day improvement in brightness and clarity. I can focus this camera in an instant with no strain.</p>

<p>The metering is nice to have but has one quality I don't like. Once you half-press the shutter to get a reading, the meter LED lingers for some 3 or 4 seconds after releasing the shutter. I found that a bit annoying. In shutter priority, it is easy to look through the VF and rotate the aperture ring on the lens to get the "go" signal. But in aperture priority, it is not easy to rotate the shutter dial if you have fingers larger than a child. Might take some practice.</p>

<p>The shutter has a wonderful positive, fast, nifty feel to it. It is not as quiet as some I hear about, but doesn't have any grindy metallic noise. It is a slick, tight "snick" which feels and sounds smooth and pleasing.The frame line selector is easy to use and the framelines are wonderfully bright and clear and good with my eyeglasses.</p>

<p>The size of this camera falls between my little QL17 and my Canon 7S, which means it is a GREAT size. Very comfortable to hold and shoot. It is similar in weight to my Yashica GSN. I think I am really going to enjoy this camera. I have three lenses for Leica threadmount platform, a 28mm f/1.9 Ultron, a 50mm f/1.8 Canon and a f/3.5 135mm Canon. I am considering a Voightlander 90mm F/3.5, or a classic Elmarit f/2 90mm if I could find one at a nice price. That would pretty much complete my thread mount rangefinder kit. Assuming the Bessa continues to impress me, I will probably sell the Canon 7Sz to pay for a new lens. Or..maybe not.</p><div>00XS8c-288899784.jpg.882d7632c30fe426e33fa15c40238408.jpg</div>

<p>Mark, maybe the Summicron 90 is not a good idea. At full open aperture and near range, there's only thin depth of field: and the range-finder of the R may not be up to the task. I have a Canon Serenar 85/2, and focussing it wide open even on an M3 is a chancy business. The effective base length of the Bessa's R/F is rather less than than of the M3.</p>

<p>The 90mm Tele Elmarit is a really nice compact lens and not very expensive. So is the Rokkor 90 f4 made (by Leitz) for the Minolta CLE. Both are at least 1980ish lenses. The modern Voigt 90 f3.5 is also a good idea. All are relatively inexpensive even in mint or new (VC) condition, and probably more appropriate for the RF baseline and magnification of your Bessa. f2 is a difficult one to focus with the size of the Bessa's effective RF baseline. You might find a used modern 90 mm Elmarit-M f2.8 at a reasonable price, but probably higher than the aforementioned.</p>

<p>Ok, I am beginning to see the light here. Another rec was the Voight 75 f/2.8. It looks like I snookered myself a bit with this short baseline on the Bessa R. Otherwise, I am really like it. Yes, it is a screw mount. I have a Voight Ultron 28mm, a Canon 50mm, and a Canon 135mmm for it.</p>

<p>Mark, you are far from sunk. The Bessa R may well be the most attractive camera of its kind in its price bracket. You get a built-in exposure meter and a bright view-finder with parallax corrected frame lines. These are not to be sneezed at. So far as the base length of the range-finder is concerned, greater is indeed better: <em>but short is not altogether bad</em>. It's a relative thing. I know people, including myself, who take sharp pictures at short distances with 85/90 lenses at f/2.8 on screw mount Leicas. If your R/F is correctly adjusted and if your vision is right for the finder, you should do well enough. The CV 75/2.5 lens is one you should consider. It is long enough to be a portrait lens, or almost one, and it can also be used in place of a 50mm normal. I have seen results from this lens on Flickr and elsewhere, and they are reassuring.</p>