My Move from 5D to 50D

james_glucksman1

I have been an ecstatic user of the Canon 5D for about a year, having upgraded from the 20D. But last week, while traveling in Xi'an, my

5D, with its 24-105mm f/4L lens and battery grip, was stolen out from under me (literally!) at dinner on the first evening of a week-long trip

showing my sister around China. This put me on the horns of a dilemma--I needed a new camera to be able to photograph the places I

was going to be visiting (some of which I had not visited before), and was not going to be satisfied using my Canon G9, and yet I did not

want to buy another 5D, knowing that the 5D Mark II would be coming out before long. So, after reporting my loss to the police so that my

insurance would cover me, I hightailed it to a Canon dealership in Xi'an (located off of Dongdajie, near the Bell Tower, in case you're

wondering) and explained my situation to the very helpful clerks. As it turns out, the 50D had just arrived recently and they made me a

good deal on the camera body and a 24-70mm f/4L lens (which I had also been contemplating buying). I have been playing with the

camera for just about a week now, and I have to say I am very impressed. I still miss my 5D, but the improvement over the 20D is

striking, and I have been very pleased with the photographs that it produces, even at high ISOs. So now the 50D will be my alternate

camera once the 5Dii appears in China; now to figure out what lens to put on it when my partner uses it (since he is not a change-lenses-

every-two-minutes kind of guy). Any ideas?

Oddly enough I look at getting a s/h 6d couple of days ago, 2000 shots, 3mths old at 2200aud (new is 2700 at present gone up again) I ask why selling and he replied, just bought a 50d and is getting better DOF and just as much detail, he`s a landscape photog, says the 10 22 works well with the 50d, 24 70 and 70 200 covers most situation. I still think the 5d2 will come up trumps so for wide 16 35/17 40 will cover both formats :)