little "springy" sound after the shutter closes. The length/intensity

of the springy sound increases as the shutter speed slows, but it

happens after the shutter closes. This doesn't occur at 1/60 or

faster - the camera and shutter sound solid. I haven't noticed this

on previous M6 bodies I've used. Is this something that sounds

abnormal?

Thanks for any info.

- Mike in Chicago

This happens on my new Rolleicord. When I was checking all the shutter speeds the other day I could hear the clockwork 'bizzing' away from about 1/30th downwards (more obvious on much slower speeds)

I would never have realised that something as sophisticated as a Leica M6 used clockwork though! (But I am not an M user.)

<<I would never have realised that something as sophisticated as a Leica M6 used clockwork though>>

People define "sophisticated" differently. Some would guffaw at the notion the M6 is sophisticated. Others would consider a precision-engineered complex mechanical German clockwork from Leica to fit their definition of "sophisticated" better than a $0.99 mass-produced circuit board from some sweatshop in Taiwan.

I am not guffawing at the notion of German precision engineered clockwork mechanisms for slow shutter speeds. (I just said my 40 year old Rolleicord has it!) However I sort of assumed that the M6 would have something really, really special, something no mortal could possibly understand.

I should have known better.

My very first hi-fi (when I was very young) had something called a Dual CS-505 turntable. I remember reading how Dual (Another German company) had manufactured the clockwork timer mechanisms for their V1 (Vengeance) flying bombs during WW2. I guess its just something the Germans have always done well. Old German clockwork tin toys sell for a fortune nowadays and still work after 100 years or more.

"Sounds like shutter bounce. Dunno 'bout the Leica arrangement but other focal plane shutters are known to develop a bit of a bounce that's audible at slower speeds, as you've described. Usually fixed with a CLA."

What, yet another ridiculous Leica Myth in the offing? Lex, before you reply, use the camera, it helps in creating a knowledgable answer.

It gives you pause the first time you notice it. I thought there was something wrong with my M3 as well, first time I used it 1/15. The interesting thing is, I never noticed it when I had a M2. Now I come to think of it, perhaps the M2 was faulty...

:-)

What's so unusual about the proposition that an out-of-alignment shutter might be responsible for an out-of-the-ordinary sound? A focal plane shutter is a focal plane shutter. Being a Leica doesn't make the mechanism invulnerable to mechanical problems. And shutter bounce does not invariably lead to symptoms that would be visible on film. I had a Canon FTbn with pretty bad shutter bounce and tested it with the mirror locked up - no light leak. Bounce is usually audible long before it's severe enough to cause other problems. This was simply information given me by an experienced repair tech for evaluating used cameras I was considering. If he was wrong then so am I.

Anyway, I think some of you fellows may have been breathing too much of the hallucinogenic vapors emitted by vulcanite. Get some air. Your cameras are just mechanical devices, not altars.