My Kodachrome Wal-Mart test

<p>Well, against my better judgement (but on the recomendation of a lot of Kodachrome shooters on this forum), I dropped three rolls of Kodachrome for an upcoming "filmtown" article off at Wal-mart an hour ago. I'll report back on the round trip timeframe. I intend to send my next batch to Dwayne's directly and see what the differences is turnaround, problems, and cost.</p>

<p>I'm sure I could guess the answer now. But I'm writing an article, so guesses aren't the greatest, you know?</p>

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>just don;t ask for the roll to not be cut/mounted and it works fine. Had that issue this past week with a roll of E6 (film reloaded, was worried the frames wouldnt line up. It came out ok though). Otherwise, it just sucks that they raised their price from 4.5 to around 7$. Still a lot less than direct though (for small shipments). Sending direct they roll the film and put it in a plastic sleeve in a cardbored container if you ask for it to not be cut/mounted.</p>

<p>Fujicolor dropoffs and pickups are handled by a courier service on contract. Once the film leaves the store it is no longer in the hands of wal*mart, it is in the hands of fujicolor, then dwayne's, then fujicolor, then wal*mart. The system works very well but is imperfect. I worked in a walmart one hour lab for about 3 years and from my own experience I would say film sendout/return is very good.<br>

They say two weeks for turnaround, sometimes it's shorter but the major hurdles in the system vs direct to dwayne's you will not even see other than the whole "takes a few more days" aspect. Hold onto that tag from the top of the envelope, it is the only way they have of knowing your order.</p>

<p>Hillary, im very confused. I suppose then that there is difference between the contract of walmart>fuji>dwaynes verses walmart>dwayne's (no, that doesnt make sense to me either and i don;t think its right, the depiction) as far as special special instructions are concerned... I got a phone call before they mailed my film back to me from fuji and she told me, that my film had been cut to be mounted... i said by saying do not cut i thought it would be implied do not mount... Anyways, maybe i need to be more specific or maybe when using E6 through walmart you can;t. Anyways, good to know.</p>

<p>The only problem I ever had with it was the one time I asked for my rolls not to be cut or mounted. They ship them back stuffed in a little cardboard tube, which is probably fine most of the time, but one of the tubes got crushed which ended up putting a crease in every other negative on that roll.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wal-Mart has one of the most efficient distribution networks in the world. Why would you have a concern in using them?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Because wal-mart doesn't pay it's people enough to care about their jobs.</p>

<p>But, as I said, after hearing many glowing reports of the service from PN members, I thought it was important to give it a try since I'm writing about Kodachrome.</p>

<p>Last year I even dropped a couple of rolls of Super 8 Kodachrome at Wal-Mart and it came back fine. I really hate Hel-Marts business practices too. Sadly screwing over people for a profit seems to have become the new American Dream.... It's ironic that Kodachrome represents the good old days of Americana. One of the last vestiges left IMHO.</p>

<p>I don't really care for Wal-Mart's business practices either, so I don't use them for my project. I go directly to Dwayne's and pay the $9 a roll for a 36. It is going to add up to about $2,000-$3,000 more in processing costs for me to do it this way, but this project and the film is priceless to me, so that is the way it goes.<br>

Besides that, it keeps me in direct contact with the lab and we have developed a good relationship over time.</p>

<p>Not to be a smart allick, but if Wal Marts distribution is so efficient, then why is it that they are always out of stock on everyday things. And its not just me or the Wal Marts near me.<br>

I've heard it from other people and I've seen it myself.</p>

<p>I will continue to use Wal Mart when I process my remaining Kodachrome rolls, because I feel good knowing that they aren't the only ones getting my money. Dwayne's is getting a cut somehow or another I'm sure.</p>

<p>Craig, like most retailers, Hel-Mart knows that excess inventory can kill you. They'd rather ship it in later and have you come back another day than sit on inventory. I hate using Wal Mart for Kodachrome processing too; but therein lies the dilemma facing Americans today. Do I pay more for a service (overpay, in fact) to support a smaller retailer, or do I save money which is very scarce and go with the big box faceless conglomerate eating the little fish?<br>

No easy answer unfortunately. But I will probably drop my Kodachrome at Wal-Mart because they are really only the middle man and likely making very little off that film processing. In fact K14 processing is probably seen as a loss leader to them anyway. I'll buy my film and gorceries from the local merchants with the money saved.</p>

Dwayne's direct posted prices are higher than those I've seen here for Walmart Dwaynes. This is somewhat covered for me by the fact that Walmart requires two round trips of nine miles each vs. one round trip of two miles to my local post ofice. I used Dwayne' direct a few weeks ago (for Elite Chrome), got free tracking for the return trip. I probably won't use Walmart.

<p>Dan, you may be correct about the "no cut" request not applying to E6 instead of the K-14. Shortly before I quit sending through Ritz, I was informed than any E6 they process HAD to be cut. No exceptions! Since I only sent my Kodachrome through Ritz, I knew that Dwayne's did the work and it was not an issue.<br>

If Wallyworld's E6 goes to Fuji, perhaps that's where the "always cut" rule comes from...?</p>

<p>I agree with Josh and Daniel. If it was my film and I could afford it I would avoid Wal Mart at all costs.</p>

<p>Additionally, I have a friend who works in the logistics IT industry who says walmarts distribution is a<br>

mess. Not every efficient at all according to him though this is just one individuals opinion.</p>

<p>I always get a chuckle out of people who cringe at the thought of handing over their precious film to Wal-Mart and its uncaring employees, yet have no problem entrusting the fruits of their labor to the civil servants at the United States Postal Service.</p>

<p>Dan,</p>

<p>When you send in E6 film via the Wal-mart envelope, it goes to and is processed by FUJI, NOT Dwayne's. FUJI has always refused to leave the slide films uncut/unmounted.</p>

<p>It's only the Kodachrome that goes to Dwayne's. The rest is all FUJI.</p>

<p>I'm with Jim! The problems we've had with the USPS tell me that W*M isn't necessarily the greater risk. When we have packages with "Delivery Confirmation" delivered to neighbors nearly a mile away (and with delivery confirmed to..."somewhere"), how much worse could walmart's distribution be?</p>

<p>Actually, Roberty, Dwayne's is doing the developing for FUJI now since their lab out in Nevada (i think, somewhere out west). This is what the person on the phone said to me, when i mentioned dwayne;s, and, just look at the adress on the fuji mailers; it's more or less the same place, i think the PO box is different.<br>

The toothless person behind the counter at my local WM still scares me, not matter how streamlined or not the shipping process is...</p>

<p>"I always get a chuckle out of people who cringe at the thought of handing over their precious film to Wal-Mart and its uncaring employees, yet have no problem entrusting the fruits of their labor to the civil servants at the United States Postal Service."<br>

Finally, some common sense, and some objectivity! Thanks, Jim. In this case "enough" is enough!</p>

<p>I'm not a fan of Walmart either, but we all eat food that was handled by people who are paid less and have less education than the typical Walmart employee.</p>

<p>Trying to get back on topic, I think Dan hit upon a key for professional photographers. He has developed a relationship with people at Dwaynes and is willing to pay to maintain that communication. That is very appropriate for a professional. My Kodachrome use is a bit more sporadic. I'll confess that I'm falling short of the roll a week that I've suggested to keep the product around. For my level of use, Walmart makes sense. </p>

<p>Jim<br>

Since you evidently revel in the role of "voice of reason": the average US Postal employee in some locations earns more money than many professionals including Lawyers and Physcicians.<br>

Handing ones film over to them, many of whom take pride in their jobs, is quite a bit different than the 30YO part time wal mart employee who cannot get health insurance thru their employer.<br>

Sorry I offended your political sensibilities.</p>

<p> </p>