My first LF. (MPP Mk-8).

keith_tapscott

Keith

I too bought an MPP Mk 8 in the past few months, and I'm getting to grips with it at the moment. Can't help you with the lenses though, I've got a Symmar 150mm and a Super Angulon 90mm F8.

I'm about to take the plunge and use some of the incredibly expensive Polaroid Type 55 p/n film

Matt

Keith,

The MPP Mk VIII is a fine camera. I use an MPP VII myself and in use there is not much between them.

The Xenar and Angulon should both be good lenses. I like the Angulon a lot. It was the first LF lens I possessed and gave very pleasing results until one of the elements detached when I bought another one.

The issue of the Angulon image circle is an interesting one. Schneider quote an image circle only just bigger than the 5x4 frame but in fact it is quite a bit bigger. What happens is that it get progressively fuzzier beyond the edge of the image circle. So for shots where the sky is at the top it is possible to have quite a bit of movement and the fuzzy sky is relatively unnoticeable.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1831873"> Here</a> is a shot taken using the MPP and Angulon 90 combination - though using a 6x9 roll film holder.

Have fun!

I have been shooting since the late 70's and have always enjoyed it. Both lens are good but your viewing will be a bit darker with your Angulon. Not really a big deal. Xenar's, in their original Compur shutters are very easy to clean and lube and completely resurrect. Most of the time, the Xenars are non or single coated which there again isn't a bad thing (only when it comes to flare when shooting towards the sun) and a simple shade of your darkslide when in that situation will work well... You will have these lens for a long time and with an occasional "working of the shutter" by going through all the speeds quickly, will usually keep things in order. Both lens are very sharp and very useful in their ranges.