My first Lecia & my first shot.

bob_jarman

I bought a Leica M6ttl this past week, my first venture back into

film since switching to digital photography about 4 years ago. What

a joy! Hope to follow this group and learn a lot in the coming

months.

Here was one of my first shots:

http://www.rkjarman.com/gallery/view_photo.php?

set_albumName=nature&id=Pondering03

Taken with a M6 & 50mm Summicron lens on Provia. Scanned with

Dualscan II.

Hi Mike,

Going back to film was a very difficult decision. I am primarily a nature and wildlife shooter, and as such digital suits that need very well. I kept a digital Canon 1d and a few telephotos that I use exclusively when shooting wildlife or sports.

I have been one of those people on the cutting edge of digital, I bough a D30, upgraded to a D60, and then to a 1d about 14 months ago. When the 1dMkII was announced, my knee jerk reaction was to get my name on the waiting list.

But as I studied a typical day of shooting what I found was that I was beginning to become a rapid fire (ie take 50 shots one will be good) photographer. I stopped thinking. I should note that for many this is not an issue, but it was for me. Also, I found myself not carrying my camera around anymore. As good as it is, it is big, heavy and cumbersome. Finally, I wanted to start shooting people in casual settings and black and white.

So I decided after a great deal of angst to add a film camera. I have friends that shoot Leica's, and I have always loved the feel of them and there compact size. That plus the fact that I have to shoot manual, makes me stop, set up and think a bit more.

My hope is that I will use the Leica for everyday use and for vacations, and then transfer what I learn about composition and lighting to the times I am out in the field with my 1d.

Both mediums have their place. I thought I would never turn back to film, but after looking at the pop of a perfectly exposed slide I am glad I did.

Thanks for the comment!

Bob

Your story is similar to mine. For years I lacked the passion I used to have until I bought my D30. That sparked my interest again and as I went along I longed for a manual metal camera and film. I started using old Konica T1's and loved every minute of it. Now I shoot more film than digital. I still shoot digital for hockey photos and quick semi commercial photos but when I go somewhere with my family I take a manual film camera. Viewing slides is a joy again. Next week I will send a payment for M6 and soon I will get a Sum 50mm for it.

"Francisco. your shot is awesome. B&W is one of the main resaons I bought the Leica. I hope I can do as well as you! Thanks for sharing."

Bob, Thanks for even hinting at doign "as well as" yours-truly... That was very nice from you!

I'm just a regular snapshooter with some lucky days here and there...

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!