My first DSLR (Nikon D70)

walter_karroll

<p>Hi,<br>

I have used 35mm slr's for awhile now. I had the Canon AE1p that I got from my dad, and then I had the black version, and I also had the Nikon N70, which I loved. Then I went to the digital point and shoots for awhile then back to 35mm because I couldn't afford dslr. Film gets expensive to process, so the price tag for a dslr isn't bad. Still money doesn;t grow on a tree in my back yard. I decided to get a DSLR. I was looking at the 3000d, 400d, d40x, and the sony a230. They are all about the same to me. Small, light, with a cheap feel. I did some more research and came across the Nikon d70. I think its everything I need to get into the DSLR world. My first one. I know I like the camera because my dad has one. It feels nice in my hands, has the right weight, and doesn't feel like a cheap piece of plastic. A bigger screen would be nice, but I am a fan of the view finder. I love the AF motor in it, and lens you can buy. Anyway I bought it used for 230.00. Has everything but a lens to start. I am going to go with the Sigma 18-200mm or it might be 24-200mm. The camera looks perfect. I couldn't afford the 499.00 price tag for a new one, and the N70 seemed better then the new ones even thought is only 6.1mp. I seen 20*30 that looked great . anyway, I wanted to know your opinion, if you thought this is a good buy to get into the DSLR world, and if I will be happy with it for awhile. Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Walt</p>

<p>Hi Walt-the D70 was also my first DSLR; I loved it and I think that you have made a good choice. The only reason I upgraded to a new camera (the D90) was that I bought a wide format printer and the extra megapixels on the D90 came in handy; otherwise I might very well have continued using the D70. Happy shooting! cb :-)</p>

<p>Just like you it was my first DSLR, and I had the N70 too (I hated it though). Yes it's nice and a good start. Now I have a D90, and I gave the D70 to my daughter. If I were you I'd consider a prime lens, like the 50mm 1.8 D, cheap and great.</p>

<p>D70 was my first DSLR too. I loved it. Later got the D70s and that was great too. Superb images from those cameras. I too had the N70, it was my first AF SLR. I loved it. Had used the N90s before that and didn't like it too much, it was too loud, big and heavy. N70 had a nice quiet film wind motor, it used a belt instead of the tougher gears in the pro-N90s body. Upgraded from the N70 a couple years later to the F100 and haven't ever wanted to get rid of that one.</p>

<p>I'm jumping on the bandwagon, too! The D70 was my first DSLR and I loved it and learned a lot. I still have it as an extra body/backup but I mostly use my D90 now. I very often come across some spectacular images on this web site that were done with the D70 and what some might call "amateur" or "kit" lenses. Some of my personal favorite images that I took came from the D70. So, it is certainly the photographer and not the equipment, as they always repeat around here. Have fun and enjoy it!</p>

<p>I've been using two D70s bodies professionally for about 5 years and have been very happy; rock and philharmonic concerts, events, catalogue, print ads, portraits, large light boxes, food, macro. I even push them to ISO 1600 at times, which come out pretty well with a little de-noising.</p>

<p>I've used a D70s for about three years, and have just made the rather large jump to a D700. However, I was using the D70s yesterday to check another lens on the dx format. The images produced by the D70s were very good.</p>

<p>You have been taking photographs for a time, and I'm sure you recognise that the first consideration is the ability of the person taking the photograph. I don't mean just how good the "eye" of the photographer is to capture the image, but how well he understands the strengths and weaknesses of his equipment. The D70 cameras are capable of providing first class results, but remember after the ability of the photographer comes the quality of the lens in use.</p>

<p>You say you might buy a zoom lens with short to long focal length. I don't know either of the lenses you mention, but I suggest you search on the web and find out about their strengths and weakness. A key matter is what you intend to photograph - and how good the quality of your images needs to be - but generally lenses of the kind you mention have weaknesses.</p>

<p>For starters, I would endorse Yann's view and get a 50mm f1.8. Whilst you are "stuck" with the single focal length, what you will know is that lens is of very high optical quality, and if your photographs do not have high image quality the fault probably will not be there.</p>

<p>The obvious advantage of digital over film is that there is no cost to the number of photographs you take. You can feel confident that a D70 is capable of great results. Think carefully about the lens you buy. Then, having got the body and lens, use the camera in ways that will show you what it will do very well, and where, perhaps, it is not quite so strong. It is something called experience............</p>

<p>My first DSLR was the D70. Nice, small and light. Although the viewfinder is not so great you will be able to create great images with it. The 18-200 is versatile but you might want to consider a faster f2.8 normal zoom if you are out when light is not so great. A good tripod is a lifetime investment unlike a digital body.</p>

<p>The D70 is a very old camera that is more likely to have some weird problems going forward than most. Consider that. There are a handful of issues that crop up with these, and before too long, Nikon is going to stop fixing them.</p>

<p>it's a great camera, but there are more issues with it than with most.</p>

<p>Thank you for your input. My dad has had the camera since 04 I believe with no problems he complained of. Says he loves it. I am really looking forward to it. i think I am going to go with the 55mm F1.8 and also get like a 18-85 or 10 105mm. I used the 55 all the time on my Canon, and the image quality was fantastic. you can't beat simplicity. </p>

<p>The D70 is selling for between $205-310 on the used gear site KEH so that seems like a decent price. I've printed many 20x30's from my D70 and from the right viewing distance they look fine. I do find it a little funny that you like the viewfinder. To me that is the absolute worst thing about the D70. It was a huge step backwards from using a film SLR and any newer Nikon DSLR has a much better viewfinder. I converted my D70 to shoot infrared a while back although you can shoot IR with the D70 even without the conversion.</p>

<p>My first digital was the D70s. I still have it and use it. I have since gone to the D300 but for my personal work, hiking and such the D70s is my go to camera. I have done 24x30's with it and they look great.<br>

Enjoy your D70! It will give you years of great service.<br>

Randy</p>

<p>Started with the D70 then went to the D200 and now shooting a D300...I upgrade slowly since it takes me a while to know the camera inside-out and I NEVER upgrade before I do...<br>

Hopefully you'll enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine....</p>

<p>It was my first dSlr as well and I have loved it only very recently replaced by the D7000. The only reason for the change for me was the better high ISO of the newer camera, otherwise, I would not have bothered with the change. Mine still works flawlessly as it has for the past 4 years I have used it. I am sure you will enjoy it and wish you many years of good service from it.</p>

<p>AF is not that quick. Viewfinder is not bad by itself but after you shot with film cameras then yeah .. it's on the small side.</p>

<p>I find it is fine for still images and portraits if you don't use high ISO. I am primarily a scape dude. For all my purpose I can print 11x15 matted up to 16x20 for my club work. I heard some people done 20x30 and sold them or even 40x60. I think I did a A1 for a friend.</p>

<p>I have a D70, my first only new dSLR. My other is now a used D2h bought last year. I vowl to never buy a new camera again. I gotten some used Nikon film SLRs and probably would head to larger formats given the cheap camera price and given I don't shoot much - 120 film is cheaper than 135, less shots but that's fine.</p>

<p>Don't limit film. If you are into street or sports or portrait, ok maybe. But if you are into scapes, a roll of film 36 shots can take a while to capture. Take your time and only shoot the best ones. Shoot slides so you get the colour that jump at you. There are no printing process, you just place the film in front of a white piece of paper under sunlight or behind the white cloud. I like chromes before it's like what pro's did - all you needed was camera, lens and perhaps a polariser and a grad filter and some pro's have used v cheap bodies and lenses to travel light but could capture stunning photo's. While digital has literally millions of adjustments you can make on software. It's just more straightforward with film. Shoot, process and it's there. Look at it.</p>