My Elan 7 seems to work with manual lenses - did I do something wrong?

funkag

I tried the trick described by the EOSdoc page (I think that is the

page) of checking my 50mm 1.8 EOS lens as both an automatic lens and

a manual lens (take a reading with contacts engaged, hit depth of

field preview, remove lens, take reading again) at a number of F-

stops, and the camera gave me basically the same reading for both

auto and manual metering situations.

Should I have had some error (at least a linear 3-stop error if not a

totally non-linear screwy error)? Since everything I have read here

and elsewhere seems to report problems, is it possible to get lucky

with the Elan 7? (Okay, let me rephrase that: is it possible to get

an Elan 7 that can meter correctly with manual lenses?)

Thanks for any replies.

Recent Elan 7/7E/30/33 bodies have updated firmware that corrects metering problems with manual stopdown lenses. I recall discussion and the firmware version mentioned last year or so at the Yahoo-Elan 7 user group. I don't recall the cost for the firmware update...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I contacted Canon and a few repair outlets on this very issue. Canon told me there IS no firmware update for this camera. They said there is only one version available. As for the repair outlets, they were unaware of the problem and had no clue what to do about it. I too would like to know what date the camera would be to have the one with the update as I just bought my camera in October last year. Since I doubt there is anyway to get the camera to show you what firmware it has in it, what is the date code on the cameras getting the new firmware?

Oh my God- right on! Mine also works. I tried an EF 50mm 1.8 I have. Took several readings stopped down, and rotated the lens to disconnect it- same reading! So I went to my drawer and got out my FD 50mm 1.4 . I know it stops down to f5.6 when disconnected from a camera body, so I set the Elan 7 to 5.6. Took a reading with the EF 50mm, took off the lens, and held the FD 50mm up to the body. Though the image was not in focus, I got the exact same reading on the light meter! Checked a few more times- sure enough the same. So this indeed does seem to be a fix in the works and I got a good body. Great as I had wanted to use manual focus lenses on this thing. Anyways for the record I bought my body October of 2003. The serial number is: (21)79002***. And on the inside film chamber the info is TR072407. What does that film chamber info mean? I'm told its a date code, but did a search and was unable to decode those numbers/letters. Anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone tried manual lenses with one of the cross-brand adapters, such as made by Novoflex or Zoerkendoerfer, or sold by Bob Shell and Stephen Gandy? If so, I would like to know whether the EOS body can choose the shutter speed if one sets the EOS body's main dial to, say, f4, in Av mode.

Previously, while shopping around prior to purchase of such an adapter, I have been told that the body displays "f 0" at all times when any adapter and non-EOS lens are in place. Thus, I was assuming I'd have to leave the EOS body in M mode and to use a exposure-meter indication inside the viewfinder, while the non-EOS lens is manually stopped down.