My educational series, feedback?

<p>Hello all,<br>

Over the course of the past 6 months or so I have been writing what I dub the Educational Series on my blog and website. It is a work in progress to help new photographers and students. I would like to know the thoughts of the community on my style and content. This is live on my business site, so if you would please keep the critiques and other critical comments on this thread it would be much appreciated. However if you would like to praise my work I would not mind it over there. :) If there is a topic that you can suggest that I cover, please let me know as well!<br>

There is also some interesting stories about some of the images I have captured since June 2013 as well in different sections of the blog.<br>

<a href="/bboard/"> Educational Series by Joe Clark, Glass Lakes Photography</a><br>

P.S. I am not trying to spam my site, but to obtain comments, critiques, and information relative to the instruction of newer photographer folks.<br>

Thanks!<br>

- J C</p>

<p>JC, it looks like you and I are using the same Wordpress theme for our websites! A couple of things to consider...First, you have some very good educational content but, IMHO, you might want to have another person look over your blog entries and edit. They could be tightened up a bit (made shorter, more concise) and a second pair of eyeballs would catch any grammar, punctuation errors, etc. Don't let them edit out your personal voice, though, as that comes through quite clearly in your writing. All this would help maintain interest. Second, some might be put off by the huge watermarks on your images. I understand the desire to protect them, but you might look at other options to make those watermark more subtle but still effective--vary the opacity, size, location, for example. Good luck with your business; I hope it works out! I have put your website under my favorites and I'll follow it for awhile to see how it goes.</p>

<p>Thank you guys, and sorry it has taken me a while to get back. I am going to condense these a bit sometime in the future. I can go on rants and ramblings if you couldn’t tell haha. I do my best for spelling and grammatical accuracy. I have never in my many years of schooling been able to tell when something is misspelled and have to come to rely heavily upon the native spell check features in Firefox. Which dose not seem to work for the title section of the blog entry. As far as the watermarking, it is an attempt to protect the images, this goes back to before I was using Smugmug and was still on the wordpress.com blog site. The galleries all port the images from smugmug in threw the alpine tool. But I felt that storing them directly on the blog was a vulnerability.<br>

I will take this all into consideration as I venture forward into my blogging career, or whatever it may be considered. As we all know, I would rather remain in the amateur market, there is way too much business on the professional side. Getting out to shoot seems to be less and less of an occurrence lately. </p>

• 7 months later...

<p>I think the content is very good and like it. I looked at it today and noticed this though:"Pr-planning and snapping the image as it enters your DOF can also be a useful tool. Also there are times where the DOF dose not matter at all" There might be too many "also" words too close together. And, it seems like that should be "Pre-planning" and "does." (Aperture article) So I also think some editing (not for content, for spelling, punctuation) is called for. </p>

<p>I like the tone of the articles, in one place you mention "Timelord technology" and it made me laugh. I'm self-taught and I learned by instinct exactly like you described in the Aperture article. Half of the time I didn't know what I was doing, only that it worked. It took me years to learn the iso-aperture-shutter speed connection, but now I play with it all the time. When I read articles, I often think, that's too basic, tell people what they need to know. You don't need to be doing math to know that you can get different effects with the same light if you mess with it enough. Reliable effects, even.</p>

<p>When I read your articles, I didn't think it was too basic or dumbed down. Thank you for that. Also you didn't "just parrot" the same info over and over. Sometimes I think those online articles are written by people who never take pictures, they just rephrase what is available on another website. Thank you for that too! :) </p>