My D500n -- shutter activations -- open box camera

johne37179

<p>I just purchased an "open box" D500 at a substantial discount. I was curious about the shutter activations. When I tested it, it came up at 1544. While I had no expectations about how many shutter activation I might see on an open box camera, I thought 1500 was not that high for a camera that shoots 10 frames per second. Does anyone have similar experiences to share?</p>

<p>1500 clicks is definitely not a lot. I am actually quite surprised that the store sold it to you; were they out of stock on new ones?Or do they have a few demo models? If everyone who handled the camera in the store checked the 10fps and verified the claim of "limitless buffer" (actually, 200 frames) then it only takes 7-8 customers to run up the tab to the number you found on your demo camera. Quite sure more hands touched that camera though, probably some 30-50 who all fired between 30 and 50 shots with it.</p>

<p>The D500 has a shutter rated to 200K actuations. 1.5K actuations is less than 1% of the expected lifespan. As far as the number count is concerned, it is pretty much meaningless. However, I would look carefully for signs of abuse, impact damage, etc.</p>

<p>Otherwise, just last week, I captured over 1500 images in 2, 3 hours one morning. I have once captured over 2000 images in an hour due to heavy wildlife action.</p>

<p>Shun, I'm in complete agreement. I was just curious about what might be expected with an open box D500. It is easy to run up 1000+ activations in a single shoot. I've been delighted with my D7000 ( I use mostly for capturing images that are later heavily manipulated into graphic presentations). The motive for the replacement was a high shutter activation number on the D7000 and replacement before failure. The D7000 is now in a backup mode. I will utilize the fast focus, but not the high cycle rate. Tools are tools -- if the hammer works, it works.</p>

<p>The D7000 should pair up with the D500 very well, as they share the same battery: EN-EL15 and at least one SD memory card, although I prefer the XQD for the D500.</p>

<p>Speaking of the EN-EL15, please keep in mind about the old battery exchange program: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00dyh9<br>

I had six old EN-EL15, Li-01 batteries, and I wanted to keep one old battery anyway just for reference. It turns out that Nikon USA limits to exchanging up to 5 old batteries per D500.</p>