My Canon 5DM2 wont turn on with a specific card

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by mi_ki, Feb 1, 2014.

1. When I insert my Transcend card in my 5DM2, the camera wont turn on. It worked before with this card, but now (after I used the card for some data transfers) it doesnt. When I insert my second (SanDisk) card, everything is ok. When I insert the "bad" Transcend card in my Olympus camera, there is no problem. What is going on?

2. Have you tried formatting the Transcend card in the 5D2?
    Edit: OK, I just re-read your question, need to clarify: Is the camera not turning on at all; i.e., no power, or powers on but won't function?

3. A bad card can take down an entire system, for instance if it has an internal short. There's no saving that card. Just toss it in the trash. There's a hazard that continuing to try to use it could damage your camera or card reader.

4. Sarah, I'd be inclined to agree with you, except the OP said the "bad" card worked in another camera, which sort of makes it sound like a formatting issue...

5. Step 1: Remove card from camera.
    Step 2: Power on camera without card.
    Step 3: Insert card in camera.
    Step 4: Format Card in Camera.
    Step 5: Power off camera.
    Step 6: Power on Camera.
    If camera power up ok: Assume card is ok and the issue was that the data transfer operations overwrote a memory location to a state that when read at camera power up caused the camera to not power up. Continue to use card as though nothing had ever happened.
    If camera fails to power up: Mark card as no good for use in the camera, and continue to use it in devices where it functions normally.

6. William, I'd be inclined to agree with you too, except that cards are so cheap, and cameras are so expensive, it's not worth the chance, except maybe in an old 10D.
    FAIW, I've seen this exact behavior (somewhat commonly) in computers. A single bad RAM chip would keep the computer from even powering up.

7. Good point, Sarah. In any case, it doesn't look like the OP is coming back...

8. "There's no saving that card. Just toss it in the trash."​
    I'd send it back to Transcend and they'll mail you another one.