My camera body cracked

krzysztof_hanusiak

<p>Hello Everyone,<br /> This just happened yesterday and haven't called Canon yet.<br /> I dropped my camera 5DMII on a rock and the body cracked open. The camera still works, there doesn't seem to be any light interference, but I know I need to fix it.<br /> The camera fell upside down with the lens on. The crack is on the top of the plastic, just above the Canon logo, the hotshoe is bent on one side and the black plastic around the hotshoe is damaged as well. The crack was probably 2mm open but I pushed it in so it's closer together (look at the photo I attached).<br /> I am sure some of you had that unfortunate accident happen. I bought the camera in May 2010.<br /> Does Canon replace/repair those broken parts? It doesn't seem to be much work (I hope) and I also hope not much cost. I don't think the warranty would cover that, would it?<br /> Thanks!</p><div>00XHNe-280431584.thumb.jpg.38a1c6645800c74cedc009f5bffa8e2c.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>"I don't think the warranty would cover that, would it?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Definitely not. The warranty is for manufacturing defects, not user accidents.</p>

<p>Certainly Canon can replace those broken parts, however the possibility of hidden internal damage should not be dismissed. Your best course of action is to send the camera to a Canon repair center for a full assessment of the damage. But the cost of the repair is going to come out of your pocket unless you paid for the camera with a credit card that provides supplemental coverage for mishaps like this.</p>

<p>I would definetly let them fix it, but the way I would do it is go to canon rep. repair center , not the main repair area for canon, they always charge the max, The shell of the camera will most likely be completely replaced, and the damage that may occur as time goes by , due to the slight amount of weather changes could cause your camera to fail later, then you are really gonna heart broken, I have found on a average that the local authorized canon repair shops are at least 50 percent cheaper, I would price the actual enlcoser body itself as you have the option to buy it yourself and compare prices before hand, camera labor per hour in hour area is 20 bucks an hour so they are fair. I wish you luck and try not to beat yourself up to hard, I did a very similar act last year , when using a new tripod I broke the flash end , the 90 canon cord and part of the case but it was fixed for about 200 bucks as they have lots of parts that are excess,</p>

<p>I cracked the display window on my 5D mk 1, and was able to repair it myself with a replacement part from Canon. Some photos and notes were posted here, at</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00QdEY</p>

<p>Your crack looks harder to repair, but possibly doable yourself if you're good with tools. There might be some ribbon cables connected to the shell, and perhaps those would need to be soldered - best to be sure about that before you try it. For some idea of what might be involved you could review the infrared conversion tutorial over at LifePixel -</p>

<p>http://www.lifepixel.com/ir-tutorials/canon-5d-digital-infrared-conversion-instructions.htm</p>

<p>....Of course, the safer option is definitely to let Canon do the repair.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The crack is on the top of the plastic, just above the Canon logo, the hotshoe is bent on one side and the black plastic around the hotshoe is damaged as well. The crack was probably 2mm open but I pushed it in so it's closer together (look at the photo I attached).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The body shell of my 5DII is metal (magneium). If yours is plastic you were sold a fake and should return it for a refund :-)</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Certainly unfortunate. I recently broke off part of the plastic bayonet the lens shade attaches to on a 70-200 mm. But it still works, so I did not consider a repair. Same thing here. You may consider sealing the crack with super glue, and live with it, and save the money toward the 5DMkIII.</p>

<p>This why you should always wear the camera with a strap to pervent things like this from happening in the first place. Sorry about your mishap. It could cost anywhere from $200-$500 depending on how much internal damage is done. Is better if you get a CPS membership if you have two cameras, then they take 30% off the bill.</p>

<p>$200-300 for the repair I could live with. I seriously think it's just the replacement of the top of the chassis as the rest seems to be made of separate parts. I hope there is no internal damage, again, the camera works well, if the Canon guys are able to tell me if there is no other damage, I will have my peace of mind.<br>

I'm still recuperating from a long vacation so I haven't contacted Canon, I need to find the repair center info and where to call, but your comments are very valuable as I know what to expect.<br>

I am not a pro, just an avid photographer that loves to log a huge camera (and tripod) on my trips ;-) I wear the strap over the neck whenever I can, but this time I was in a jungle, stopped the car to take a shot, and the strap got caught on a side of the car seat. It yanked the camera out of my hand and fell upside down on the road. The road was a clay with rocks sticking up, the top hit one of those rocks. I got great photos this trip, that makes me feel better at least. I've used it in rocky creeks, over the cliffs and blowing sand and it survived. Just that one "damned" photo.</p>

<p>Piece o'cake! Sure, Canon can repair it, and if the only damage is to the case and hotshoe (which it probably is), they can do it rather affordably. I wouldn't expect a repair bill in excess of $200. I once read of a 1DSII (?) with a cracked body and lens mount, and the repair bill on that was maybe $150, if memory serves.</p>

<p>At the end of the day, do you have a camera to take pictures, or take pictures to have a camera? It's just a tool (albeit a nice one!), and if you use it as such, from time to time there will be mishaps. Far better to have the odd disaster but take some brilliant pics than to cosset your camera and never take any. It's what insurance is for, though.</p>

<p>You can see that the drop impact was at the left front corner of the hot shoe, forcing it into the cover and causing the crack. The white is actually the magnesium metal and as Nick stated if it was plastic it very well may not have cracked. Definately have Canon fix it as you never know what may have been jarred loose inside. Good luck and let us know the outcome if possible.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Wondering what ended happenning with this camera?<br>

Was it sent to Canon? repaired? for how much?<br>

I dropped my 5D MKII, and it cracked in <strong>exactly</strong> the same way than yours Krysztof. Like yours, camera seems to be fully functional, but I should have it checked.<br>

Any insight would be appreciated.<br>

thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Alright Everyone (and sorry for the damage, Eloy).<br>

The process of shipping to the Canon facility is quite simple and the customer service is pretty good. Eloy, call Canon and they will initiate the repair service, explain where to send the camera, etc. (assuming you are in USA).<br>

To rehash, the only damage I saw was crack on the body and dented hotshoe, but were replaced. I also sent the lens to have it checked for any possible damage.<br>

The process is a little retarded, they first email/mail you the estimates. I received two: body repair: $311 and lens repair $177. I asked what was damaged in the lens, and the representative told me that nobody has looked at the camera or the lens and the prices are standard prices in case there is damage. English is not my first language, but I was quite certain this was not what estimate meant. When I asked when I would know the price, she said after the repair is done. If there is more damage found (this had me totally confused, since she had just said nobody examined the camera). And if no damage would be found in the lens, the $177 would be refunded to me. I paid both since she said if there is not damage.<br>

A week later I received both fixed camera and untouched lens. When I called Canon to find out if there was any damage to the lens, they said there was none. And when I asked when I'd receive the refund for the $177, they transferred me to another dept. and said I should get the money in approximately 7 weeks. I told them it was fine as long as I do receive the money eventually.<br>

So the short answer: fixing the camera cost me $311 plus $40 FedEx shipment.</p>