My 4th wedding coming up

amy cupp

Tonight I just booked my next wedding which is coming up Sep 8th. It will be

outside and the formals will be done preceremony which will be at about 330pm

which means very bright sun : ) I know the place has a lot of nice weeping

willows and other trees to get them in the shade so I plan on that. I have a

question about my flash. Obviously I cant bounce off a ceiling so what do I

need to get/make/use to bounce the flash so Mr Dohring wont yell at me : ) (ha

ha) I have another outdoor wedding Oct 6th... so excited.

If filling against bright sun, don't bounce, just use the flash head straight ahead, direct. Shoemount flashes don't have the power to be bounced and go against bright sun. If in the shade, you can use various card bounce modifiers (Demb Diffuser/Flip It, Pocket Bouncer, etc.) or an OmniBounce or Lumiquest on-camera soft box with the flash head straight ahead. These will not give you soft light, but they will diffuse the hard light quality of the flash a little. Here is a previous thread that discusses this topic a little.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MEkc

Hey Amy,

I have tried many many things, and recently I have just started using a piece of paper attached to my SB800 with a rubber band. I have never been happier with the lighting. I use a bracket, so it is still slightly above camera, and it just gives very even light.

I was in a tight bind because I lost my lightsphere at a wedding and wasn't able to replace it and I didn't think my subsequent wedding would need outdoor lighting. Then I had to light people in the dark outside, and the paper worked better than the lightsphere ever did! If you are looking to spend money (and have something that attracts fewer comments) try the Demb diffuser or the omni bounce. I don't think I would buy another lightsphere, but I have heard great things about the demb, and it seems to suit my style.