MW Classic Camera

<p>I've bought various items from them over several years. They used to be excellent but seem to be losing interest. One item I bought didn't arrive after 10 days so I rang up to enquire, only to be told that they "had other things to do". Other items have taken too long as well.</p>

<p>In consequence, I can no longer recommend them.</p>

<p>I've seen a few times where he gave an inaccurate description, mainly saying that something was older than it really was. I think I bought my 1854 Grubb Petzval from him a year ago. He was claiming it was from the 1840s. He has some nice stuff from time to time, but you better do your own research before you buy.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi Dave<br>

I've been buying from MW for the last ten years. I think they're really great guys.<br>

I see that there have been a couple of complaints. Maybe, I've been lucky but I rate them. Of course, it helps that I live in London and can visit them personally. Having said that, I think they are the most honest and competitively priced dealers, in the UK, I know. If you don't like something you've bought off them just send it back.<br>

The two most recent purchases I've made off them have been in the last month. I bought a Leica CL, with 40 Summicron lens, hood and leather case for £400. The other was a pristine Super Isolette with a leather case and push on lens hood for £200. <br>

The CL is wonderful and I've just seen the test roll from the Agfa. It's a gem. I've owned two Super Isolettes before and this is easily the best condition one I've owned. <br>

So, recommended!!</p>

<p> </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi Dave<br>

I guess I must have been "unlucky" - ordered a Mamiya 6 online. Paid over the phone with credit card including £10 for "courier" delivery. Heard nothing for a week. No response to emails. <br>

Rang them. They said, first of all "we can't find it" then changed to "it has been sold to someone else" - no intention to contact me, no apology. They also said they had refunded the payment - so far they haven't. <br>

It may be OK to shop in person so you can see and check, but on the basis of these multiple failings, I would avoid online purchases.</p>

• 3 years later...

I bought my Auto Graflex RB from them without hassle two years ago.

Then they updated the website and I've tried buying from them twice that didn't work out:

First time I heard nothing for weeks. Emailed them and was told the items had been on the site as place holders to test the website. Got a refund.

Second time I mailed after a week of hearing nothing and I was told the item had been sold to someone else. Got a refund.

Caveat Emptor.

My experience was the other way round. I once bought a lens through their old website, or at least I thought I had: it took my card details and finished the transaction, but nothing came through the post. After several days I enquired and found this was a 'feature' of the site; the item had already been sold, and the stock listed was out-of-date by at least that one item, when I went through the motions of buying. In fact, no money had been charged either. I was disappointed about the lens, but mostly annoyed at having given out my card details for nothing. The guy I spoke to on the 'phone seemed to care very little about either issue. I vowed I wouldn't buy from them again, and deleted the bookmark; but I found their site again from a web search about a particular item, and have since bought from them once, without a problem this time.

My Grandpa drove a Caveat Emptor for a while, I think.