Must have kit for an Australian summer

purplealien

<p>Hi<br>

I'm spending most of December "down under" for my sister's wedding. I'm travelling with the family (incl 3 young children) so I am limited in what photo kit I can take. Will be mostly in and around Sydney, although we are planning to travel up the coast a bit.<br>

I have a D90 with 18-105 kit lens, an old Nikkor 50 f/1.8 AF lens for portraits/low light and an old Nikkor 70-210 f/4 AF zoom (which I'm thinking of leaving behind to reduce weight). Benbo tripod and a gorillapod.<br>

Funds are limited, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on essential accessories for what I expect will be a very hot holiday.<br>

Thanks<br>

Chris </p>

<p>Your cozzie. Seriously though, having spent the last several Christmases in Sydney, and not knowing what you want to shoot, I would keep it very simple. My own very basic choice has been my D300 and 16-85mm lens, and the only time I felt limited was the start of the Sydney-Hobart yacht race when I would have liked something much longer. I'm not recommending you run out and buy one of these, I am just mentioning the range I felt comfortable with in a general-purpose lens. The 50mm f/1.8 lens will do for low-light situations if you expect to encounter these, and doesn't weigh much. Don't forget to use fill flash for mid-day outdoor shots, the sun is very strong.</p>

<p>18-105mm and the 50mm f/1.8 should do the trick just fine, there may be a few occasions where a longer lens might be handy but I'm talking longer than 210mm anyhow so I'd second leaving the 70-210mm at home.</p>

<p>Sydney surrounds and the coast north (and south) of Sydney are gorgeous - you shall not be lacking for subject matter. Sure, take a CPL and a wireless remote so you can include yourself in some choice photos.</p>

<p>I agree about the CPL.<br />The camera and the 18 to 105 should suffice: a Flash mainly for Flash Fill / kids etc outside would be a better idea than the 50/1.8 IMO, but the 50/1.8 is lightweight so why not bring it.<br />You probably won’t need a bottle opener as all the <em>good </em>beer is twist top. (Most wine now too)<br />I’d leave the tripod at home and bring the gorilla pod: if you what to do scenic long exposures at night you can find some support – use mirror up (if you camera has that) and time delay.<br />Bring plenty of memory - or a method of storage.</p>

<p>The Sydney to Hobart starts on Boxing Day – from Sydney Harbour – and it is spectacular . . . Ashes Test Cricket is something which is beyond superlatives, but if you are not au fait it, might take a few days to explain.<br>

Welcome and Enjoy Sydney: <a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=971683">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=971683</a></p>

<p>WW</p>