I know there's been a couple of threads about Cancun recently but they focused

more on other aspects of the trip (e.g. gear, safety, etc). So I'm posting this

slightly different question.

What I would like to hear from those who have photographed there is which sites

should be a priority during a 4-day trip this month, at what time of the day a

visit is recommended and what are the technical aspects for shooting in these

places. In particular, what are in your opinion the best archeological sites or

small towns (for photography) that can be reached in a day, what are the best

ones to shoot during sunrise and sunset, an which locations are worth getting to

at a given time of the day to catch the best light and avoid the crowds. Any

suggestions on shooting cenotes in the Yucatan?

I tried to stay away from Cancun but most good hotels were sold out, so I'll

have to drive out of Cancun's hotel strip to get away. Your recoemmendations

would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The sites close to Cancun are over-run. Is there a reason why you have to be in Cancun? I'd recommend driving across the peninsula and staying near the Pu'uc Route. Some spectacular sites and far fewer people since Club Med doesn't take people there.

I went to the Cenote Zaci in Valladolid. Spectacular, and despite being huge and very well-known, no other visitors. I paid a local boy $2 for the "tour."

Jeff, Mike, thank you for your responses. I thought I'd have to get somewhat far from Cancun to find nice spots for photography. But unfortunately, this is going to be primarily a beach holiday for the family and we have paid for the Cancun hotel already.

I don't mind driving 2 or 3 hours out and then back. So my first inclination was to drive to Chichen-Itza and stop along the way in Ek Balam. I could probably add to that a stop at the cenote Jeff recommends. I was also planning on visiting Coba and the Tulum ruins, but can't decide what would be the best time of day to be at all these places to get the most out of them.

Besides these nearby sites, any other comes to mind? Is it worth going to Isla Contoy Bird Sanctuary or Rio Lagartos Nature Reserve to see the flamingos? Any particular small village that might have an old Mexico feel as opposed to a big American resort feel? Thanks.

The best time of day for the archaelogical sites, especially the ones closer to Cancun, is as early in the morning as possible. There are two reasons for this - 1) it's a lot cooler at 9AM than later in the day, and 2) the tour buses from Club Med don't usually arrive until after 10. In order to see Chichen Itza early, I stayed down the road, but I guess that isn't an option for you, so rent a car and drive out early.

Also, at Chichen Itza, you can avoid the crowds by wandering out of the main plaza towards some of the less restored areas. Some interesting buildings, although nothing as spectacular as the ball court or the one with all the pillars.

Hey, I also recommend driving to Talum, Uxamal, Merida. But a MUST this week and next week is Chichen Itza. During this time, morning and afternoon light produces the famous serpent ascending El Castilo's staircase. If you miss it, you can also see the sound and light show in the evening which recreates such phenomenon.

• 11 months later...