Music on website.... love it or hate it?

alwin_lai

<p>It makes me think the photographer doesn't think enough of his work to let me view it without specific music to influence my mood. It makes me wonder if the photographer, who would undoubtedly be upset if someone used one of his precious images without permission, might be using the music without permission. If it's the site of someone I already know and like, I'll take the time to hit the "mute" button on my keyboard or to yank the headphones off my head. If I don't know the person, I immediately go to another site and will only return by mistake. Come to think of it, I can't stand being asked about music on photography sites. Does that answer you question?</p>

<p>A question. Why are you asking photographers who probably won't visit your Website outside of reviewing it for comments or criticism (like here)? Design your Website for your customers and clients. If we don't like it, that's our problem. Many wedding and portrait photographers use music because, if done right, it enhances the visitor's experience.</p>

<p>Leslie: nobody said they hate <em>music</em>. What they don't like is a web site playing music they haven't asked to hear, possibly interfering with other background audio tasks they have running, munching up a Skype session, disturbing co-workers, requiring the visitor to re-configure the audio settings on their computer/device for balance, or any number of other things. A gallery on a web site, navigated to via links that clearly say With/Without Music - that sort of thing is the polite way to go, if the photographs so desparately need the music to go with them.</p>

<p>Yeah Matt, I know it's music *on the website* and not music itself people hate but I *do* get a sense of anti music sentiment here. FWIW, I think the artist should present his work however he/she wants to. If the viewer don't like the music, they wlll lower the volume or mute it...not a big deal to me. But it seems it's a huge deal for most here.</p>

<p>Also, I never said pictures should 'need' music to go with it. IMO, photos should stand on their own. not with music, caprions nor titles etc...But they can enhance the viewing experience. Rarely maybe, but they could.</p>

<p>I would, on the other hand, get annoyed if a site ask me if I wanted music or not. Large jpeg or medium or small...Caption / title or not etc, etc...Just friggin' present your work the way you want. </p>

<p> </p>