Music and Photography?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by mikemorrell, Nov 29, 2018.

1. And then you sort of wonder.....

Why a lack of new members.

Perhaps it is about not wanting to eat school dinners for the rest of their lives.

2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Allen, you're back - and here he casts a silver spoon with treble hook into the current, hoping for a strike, and what he really needs is to trot down to the Local for a Pint.

3. Always up for a pint especially with my mate, Sandy. Hey, and a steak.

School dinners and a pint. Better....have to sneak the pint.

Those were the days, Sandy. Back of the bike shed, a smoke and a beer, and the girls.

Better than that church stuff. Were you a Churchie, Sandy.. nothing wrong with that Sandy.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  4. Mention a few current photographers who you think are relevant to the OP, and we will discuss their works.

One way to avoid eating the same school dinner everyday is to occasionally cook your own food.

5. Nice to mention, just occasionally, a living photographer.

Just a thought. Sorry if it offends.

6. "One way to avoid eating the same school dinner everyday is to occasionally cook your own food". Supriyo

I always cook my own food, Supriyo as you should be very aware of.. You seem angry...why? Do you think I'm upsetting Fred.

Mention a few current photographers who you think are relevant to the OP, and we will discuss their works.Supriyo

Okay, let us discuss.

Okay, you choose, or should I.

I choose Tom Johnson to start the ball rolling.

I will add my own photo...little boy being cheeky. You should get that photo.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  7. Sorry, to step on sacred ground. Upsetting to a lot of folk.

I could not care a monkeys.

8. TOM JOHNSON
    1. Strong influence of Diane Arbus's and Avedon's works. I like his twins. :confused:
    2. Desire to be cool and trendy usng film or VCSO film emulation (works resemble Chiara Romagnoli and glossy magazine editorials sometimes).
    As for music (the theme which will not be a revelation to many) - Pet Shop Boys "I'm with stupid".
    This fits his stuff perfectly!

9. Thanks for the link. His photos remind me of polaroids. Some photos like the ones where two people are jumping over barns holding hands, have a rhythm in them that may remind of music.

I also like the work of the other Tom Johnson. His portraits have a relaxed but focused look. As for music, this one has staccato in it.
    https://tommjohnson.com/PROJECTS/KINGMAN/27

and

water and sprinklers also remind me of music. So this one would be appropriate for that. The old lady's pose has a "twist" with a rhythmic undertone in it.
    https://tommjohnson.com/PROJECTS/LAKEWOOD/2/

I appreciate your suggestion of discussing contemporary photographers. I appreciate when someone brings up the works of other renowned photographers, dead or living. I can always learn by looking at other's works. If I see something is missing from the discussion that I can add to, I usually add without complaining. Everyone here has the right and responsibility to improve the content of these threads.

10. " surely you can see and recognize that Walker Evans carries a bit more weight than Tom Johnson when it comes to having contributed to the (ongoing) history of photography, no? We are all in Evans’ debt (as Evans was in Atget’s)." Phil.

Of course.

Time moves on and it is good to look to the present.

11. A treat for some that have eyes that can see and a mind of imagination.

My favorite street/documentary photographer.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  12. "I usually add without complaining". Supriyo.

Okay, I've been told off. Hey, we are all entitled to moan sometimes it's in our nature.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  13. Krk - fado.jpg
    fado

Uhooru likes this.
  14. inoneeye likes this.