Multi-spot metering- which cameras do this?

yog_sothoth

<p>So, for no good reason I picked up a Canon EOS 3. It is pretty amazing. My favorite feature is the multi-spot metering mode. For black and white film this really looks to be a great timesaver. </p>

<p>So, the EOS 3 and 1V have the multi-spot metering, but not the Elan 7N. Are there other camera bodies, not just Canon, that use this metering mode?</p>

<p>One or all of the Olympus OM-4 models offered multi-spot metering, which effectively averaged the readings from multiple spots.</p>

<p>Incidentally, the Olympus C-3040Z P&S digicam and a few other Olympus models also offered multi-spot readings. I used it occasionally to meter for my meterless film cameras, rather than tote my Pentax Spotmeter V around. It was limited to ISO 100-400 (unless I recalculated in my noggin, easily done), but was somewhat handy.</p>

<p>In actual practice, multi-spot readings usually were identical to a single incident meter reading. The few exceptions occurred when, for example, the subject was in the distance under a clear sunny sky while it was cloudy and overcast where I was standing. The spot meter as useful maybe 10% of the time.</p>

Multi segment metering on DSLR's does the same. But if using older lenses they revert back to average

metering. I also noticed that incident metering with my Luna Pro often the same as the multi spot when I

had my T90 & also on my Leica M6. I tried doing the full 8 readings on the T90 but decided 3 spot

readings were usually close enough with print film with it's wide latitude.

<blockquote>

<p>"Incidentally, does anyone know whether there any DSLRs that have this function?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A question I'm curious about too Mark.</p>

<p>I was just thinking about this the other day. I recall using the feature on my EOS 3 several times and was wondering at the time if the function was available on any of the DSLRs.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

T90 lets you take multiple readings, displaying each/all on a +/- 4 stop exposure scale. This offers quick, intuitive information regarding the difference between metered subjects. The camera averages them as you go, but you can then move the entire constellation up or down on the scale with the Highlight / Shadow buttons, placing any given subject where you like and observing the resultant 'fall' of the other metered areas. If in aperture or shutter priority, you can then tweak A or V as desired, using your adjusted exposure as the target. http://t90.tripod.com/viewfinder.html<br><br>

This mode of metering is handy, and very accurate when shooting E6 either in the Tank or on my 6x6.

(The T90 is a "little bit" large for a light meter, but it does the job well.)