Mt Mansfield VT

luke_johnson

<p>What kind of photographs are you looking to capture? I really like the view of Mt. Mansfield from Essex Junction / South Burlington / Charlotte. Get onto some roads like Hinesburg Road or Spear Street and there can be some amazing colors to photograph at sunset. There is also a really close place to photograph one of the peaks from on Mount Pleasant Road (I think it starts in Cambridge).</p>

<a href=http://www.hforcier.com/trips/vermont/mountmansfield.htm><u>Mount Mansfield in Autumn</u></a>

There are several nice views along Route 15 from Jericho through Cambridge / Underhill / Jeffersonville. Also, from Jericho, you can bear right off of Route 15 onto River Road towards Underhill Center. The road eventually becomes Pleasant Valley Road and there are some nice views of Mt Mansfield from there. The road eventually splits to the "Upper" and "Lower" Valley roads. Each has nice views of Mt MAnsfield. Another option is the Mountain Road that leads from Pleasant Valley Road up to Underhill State Park, and Also Stevensville Road, also off of Pleasant Valley Road. These two roads are on the right, shortly after going though Underhill Center.

Attached is a shot from the Upper Pleasant Valley Road.

Heather,

No, I don't know the story behind the "Wrong Way Bridge"...though I should! Perhaps the name is merely because the bridge causes the road to change direction so abruptly?

In any case, there's also a tres cool covered bridge on the left, just after crossing the WWB.

In the "spring" (we're talking approximately mid-July as you know!), the area to the right of the road usually floods from melting snow, and it becomes a wonderful place to photograph gulls and other birds who have been seeking a swimming hole during the past 10 months of winter.

I agree that Route 15 has some great views of Mount Mansfield along the way. My photo linked in the previous post was taken with an 80-200 near five corners in Essex. On nice evenings I just like to drive around and let the views find me. Oh, Route 117 (River Road) might be nice, too, unless that construction was allowed. I know there were great views of Camel's Hump from there.

The unverified rumor I had heard about the bridge was that it was put in the wrong way by accident, and by the time they figured it out it was too late. Cute caption for that gull.

I assume you are talking about the covered bridge on the left after the WWB if you are headed Route 15 towards Essex, correct? I have always looked at that but never stopped to photograph it.

Oh, and cool shot, Richard! That is exactly the way I envision Pleasant Valley Road in my mind. (My mistake in referring to it as Mount Pleasant Road in a previous post.)

I find taking shots of the peak of Mount Mansfield a little difficult from that road (towards the north end) difficult because of the phone wires, cows, and a few buildings in the foreground. But it can be quite a spectacular view, especially with color in October and a little bit of snow on the peak.

thank you for all you suggestions i assume it is a sunset shot.

also do you have any recommendations for camel's hump?

i was looking for a close panoramic landscape shot like the ones you posted

thanks again

luke johnson

luke0355@aol.com

<p>Yes, the image was taken at sunset in early fall.</p>

<p>Camel's Hump is just to the south of Mount Mansfield, physically located around Huntington but it can be photographed from Essex / South Burlington / Charlotte, just like Mount Mansfield. Route 116 (Hinesburg Road) provides some clear views of each, if you have some longer focal lengths to work with. As I said, that photo is with an 80-200, so I think if you have lenses up to about 300mm you should be okay. It's a little far away from the actual mountains but some areas provide clear views and the closer you get, the harder it is to get the whole mountain in the frame.</p>

<p>I have driven up both mountains and seen both from many different angles, but tend to photograph them most from the locations I mentioned. I'm sure there are other good views, too, so if you have time to drive around it might give you some other opportunities. The Vermont Atlas & Gazetteer by Delorme might be really helpful to you.</p>

<p>(Great covered bridge shot, David, when are the flowers out - in springtime?)</p>

<p><a href=http://www.hforcier.com><u>My Website</u></a></p>

Luke,

All the locations already mentioned for Mt Mansfield are a Sunset Shot as you are on the West side of the mountain. I'm not sure of any good views from the east side. For Camels Hump, I recommend driving up Texas Hill Road (dirt Road) from the Huntington side about 3 miles or so and then look back towards the Hump. Beautiful Views and you can use the road as a leading line. Another road right before Texas Hill is Sherman Hollow Road and you can take the same approach there. I think the Views from Texas Hill are better. Shots from these roads are a Sunset Shot. Another nice view of Camels hump is right off Exit 11 of Interstate 89 in Richmond. This can be taken successfully at Sunrise or Sunset. Some mornings have beautiful colors in the sky, or fog in the foothills. Actually driving south on I89 towards Richmond, there is a stunning view of Camels Hump right from I89 as you come down a hill approaching Richmond. It is especially beautiful in the Fall. I have always been tempted to pull over in the break-down lane and take this image, but haven't.

There is a "classic" shot of Mt. Mansfield from Cambridge with trees in the foregrond,

a farm on a hillside in the middle ground, and the Mansfield peak to the left of the

farm in the background. I have seen examples of this phot in several Vt. Life

magazines and calendars. Shot from where?

Dana, I am a little less familiar with that area so I'm not sure about vantage points specifically for Jay Peak in the fall. However, northeast Vermont peaks in fall colors a bit earlier than the rest of the state, so be sure to plan accordingly. It is different every year, but you may be looking at around mid- to late September timeframe. Positions in Montgomery, Richford, and Troy - the towns directly around Jay, will likely have good views and they are pretty nifty locations themselves. It is an unbelievable drive at the right time in the fall. And if you're that far north and have time, venture to the east to see Lake Willoughby. The cliffs are incredible, and again the drive is pretty great. You may even come across some moose that time of year!

Howard, I'm not too sure about the location in Cambridge you are referring to, do you have any web links to photos from that location?

Howard, I believe I know the shot you are talking about. Unfortunately, Trees have grown tall enough to pretty much block the farm out now, so the shot is nothing like it used to be, although there is another palce you can shoot it from with a telephoto lens, but you need at least 400mm. Here is another shot of a farm from Pleasant Valley near Cambridge. I live in Jericho, Vermont (7 miles from Pleasant Valley) and would be more than happy to join people for a day of shooting if you are going to be in the area. My e-mail is Mrbumps@gmavt.net. Feel free to contact me and we can take it from there.

Also, I second Heather's recommendation to go to Lake Willoughby. It is a stunning place. A glacier lake with cliffs on both sides. If you want to take a littel hike, I recommned going to "Wheeler Mountain" . It is about a 45 minute hike, although steep and over rock for much of it. The view on this climb are incredible, and the final lookout is a stunning view of Lake Willoughby surrounded by Mount Pisgah and Hor. My biggest problem is I always stop to shoot too many other views on my way up. Here is a shot taken one morning when the Lake was covered by clouds, but other scenes were just as nice.

Howard,

Not sure what that photo may be! I'd have to see it. I know the area very well. It could be an old stock photo. Just because the calendar is 2005, doesn't mean the photo is recent. If you could scan it and post it, I can probably tell where it is as I know the area very well.

Howard,

Yes, that would be great if you could post a scan of the photo. Like Richard, I live very near where the photo would have been taken and could pinpoint the spot for you.

On the subject of Mt. Mansfield, don't rule out Stowe itself. There are some interesting views from the town walking path, which extends several miles from the village center.