mike_kowal

Ladies and Gent's:

Just curious to see if anyone has been to Mt. Evans in the past to

specifically shoot goats and wildflowers at the same time. I'm

thinking that the coats of the goats are not going to be up to par as

will the wildflowers during ?July? Anyone with any suggestion(s) as

to the perfect time for both? If not, a better time for one than the

other. Much appreciated...THANX!!!

July can be very good for goats and flowers. Since I live an hour from Mt Evans I get up there often. Yes the coats of the goats will be shaggy you really need to try to concentrate on the babies. The females bring their young off the cliffs in late June and they are photographable. Move slowly around the babies their much easier to spook than the adults. There also is guite a bit of varietion in the sheding of the coats. I always seem to find some goats that look much better than the others at that time of the year. Flowers will be good, but the incessant wind up there can be frustrating. Look below timberline and visit the Chicago Creek campground area for more variety. Good luck.

Yes, the goats will be shedding their winter coats and not look the best in July. The later in summer you go, the better, but of course if you go too late you run the risk of the road being closed by a snowstorm.

Whatever you do, PLEASE do not feed the goats or the bighorn sheep! Tourons do this all the time so they can get a snapshot of the animals. Besides the fact that people food (usually junk food) is not good for the animals, why would anyone want a picture of someone's hand intruding into the picture.

My wife and I are headed to Chicago Basin, in late July to photograph wildflowers and mountain goats. We have done this before, and it has been successful. A couple of years ago, however, it was still snowed in, the last week of July.

The goats are not in their prime, especially the females that are nursing their young. The dominant male usually looks pretty nice, however.

The wildflowers seem to be a little better, the first week of August. Try Yankee Boy Basin for the best wildflowers.