Mt Assinboine photos

miles_hecker

I'm interested in hiking in to photograph Mt Assinboine in BC.

I'll be in the area about July 20-25.

All information as to the nature and duration of the hike to a good

vantage point would be appreciated.

I am hoping it can be done as a single night pack trip. Go in one long

day. Shoot at sunrise and head out. I live in Wyoming and am used to

hiking at elevation so a 10 mile day in and out is just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Miles

Sounds like an awesome trip. One thought occurred to me however; isn't this area fairly well known as grizzly habitat? Hiking in and out in one day - meaning walking before and/or after sunrise/sunset - if this is griz habitat, may not be the best idea.

I don't know. We only have black bears where I am. Just a thought!

Miles,

First off, it is more like 14 to 17 miles into Assiniboine depending on what trail head you go in from. One thing some do to cut down on the hike is to mountain bike part of the way. You can't ride a bike in the park, but you can travel some of the way in on one.

There are basic cabins near the lake that you might want to stay in to save carrying extra weight. They are called the Naiset (sp) cabins and last I knew rented for $10 a night.

I'll be up there about the same time, but I'm cheating and going in on the helicopter. I'm getting too old, have too much camera gear and blew my knee out the last time I was up that way. We will be in the lodge. There will also be a photography workshop lead by Joe Lange at about the same time. There is plenty of room so it shouldn't be a problem.

Mosquitos are bad at that time so go prepared. There are bears in the area too, so the cabins might be a good option. I also ran into an extremely large black wolf up there a few years ago. That was definitly the high point of the trip.

Any other questions let me know. I'll try to find the title of a book I have on the area. It would help you a great deal.

Later,

George Hager